L20b Head bolts

Lozer

Since my question is similar ill just post it here.

Im rebuilding my motor i picked up a week ago. Im taking apart now and saw the oil pump bolt to the distributor is not in the 11:22 position. I timed everything and im wondering if im gonna have problems after installation .

What will change or what do i have to change?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you have to have patience when installing the oil pump.

Assuming you have an L series motor:

You have to pull out the oil pump and align both dots stamped on the oil pump tip and the one on the spindle. After that you may proceed to introduce the oil pump if you already have all set up at 0

make it EZ for ya

http://www.guba.com/general/search?query=hainz&set=5&x=0&y=0

Put motor to TDC Zero on crank

Careful. I always ck this before tearing apart a motor cuase soemtimes people get a new dizzy and the dizzy mount maybe be from another car and they cut the timming plate and extended the slots cause they got the wrong one or forget to take the one that cam with the dizzy. So to compensate for this people move the dizzy/oil spindal a tooth to get it on #1 plug wire to get full adjustment of the timming plate

HPIM0263_thumb.jpg

HPIM0236_thumb.JPG

but when took it out it was like at 8:17 or something. I timed everything to tdc pretty well i think.

I cant expalian that one. Maybe you took the motor apart when it wast on TDC. Some people just tear amotor apart. I do it as a general ref and to get head on or very close to TDC as it hard to turn the cam on the head as the rockers are giving to much tension and nothint to hold the head from spinning.

the photos and vid is the way the motors are line up from the factory. All L series motors.

The dizzy and its Matching mount and timming plate will go on and where the rotor lands will be #1 plug wire(with some adj in the timming plate)

Now if the mount or timming plate and dizzy are a mis match of parts then people move the dizzy spindal to make it work. That means it was a rig JOB. Which can be common on older car/truck as people dont grab the whole set.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)