Tranny Swap - Mount Questions

Hey Guys,

Doing my first tranny swap (no surprise there lol) . I want to have everyhting needed . I bought a 5 spd out of a 260z which is likely a 280 trans since 260 never had one stock. I cant find a single # on it outside the clutch fan. I am planning to buy the mounts off techno toy tuning   https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/510/datsun-510-universal-transmission-mount   it looks decent and Im gonna grab the poly mount also . I like that they allow for the exhaust channel space.  Has anyone used this before? 

I saw another on Zcardepot    https://zcardepot.com/collections/transmission/products/transmission-mount-bracket-510-68-73?_pos=1&_sid=8ed6b89b3&_ss=r&variant=31285416067185   it seem s abit less sweet but its only 40$ I may buy it in case and sell if not needed.

Few questions if anyone used these or was able to modify the stock 510 or z tranny mounts?

Second where the F__K are the serial or model #s on a z tranny? Ive cleaned all the gunk and found nothing. Im hopeful its not a truck tranny but either way I feel like I should have found a serial # somewhere. I found a 15 year old thread that stated no numbers in a z tranny but people were arguing the issue and I cant find the thread again.

Any help is appreciated. Im asuming the clutch slave and starter will all be Z standard also since the Rockauto shows only one for all years and models (except ZX I think)....

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use a rubber mount. Poly are way too stiff and transmits vibration and noise. Rubber is far superior for noise isolation. Only place I would use poly is on the sway bar link ends. It's terrible stuff.

The five speed could have been out of anything. The L series truck 5 speeds to '79 were identical to the Z car five speed mid ratio gearing. This also includes the 810 and Maxima. The '79 620 and '80 2wd 720 were a wide ratio with a much higher first gear which gets you off the line faster.

To determine or confirm your internal ratios do the following...

Place in first gear.

Mark the input and output splines.

Turn the input 20 complete turns while counting the output turns.

Wide ratio...... 5.5 turns

Mid ratio........ 6.0 turns (most common)

Close ratio..... 6.5 turns (only on the '80-'83 non turbo 280zx)

Post some pictures of your five speed on the right rear and the top. I can sometimes ID a transmission by what's not on it. Use a wire brush and thoroughly clean the top front ledge of the transmission where the bolts go through to the engine. There may be some numbers stamped there.

That poly mount is a great piece. It's from Energy Suspension and I use them all the time. If you want it in black, buy it from Summit instead. They are directional, so pay attention when you're installing it. Dimensionally, they are made to replace a standard GM auto trans mount (from the 60s through the 90s), but Energy designed them to have an interlock inside the poly so if it ever breaks, the trans will still be held in place.

• Like 1

The Energy Suspension poly mount bottom holes are slightly different than the Datsun mount. Nothing a little grinding can't fix.
The stock Datsun mounts are pretty durable in my experience, I usually recommend those.
Nothing wrong with the poly just a bit stiff. 

• Like 1