Blown HG?

Well not exactly. The piston is at TDC at the end of the exhaust stroke and the exhaust valve is almost closed and closing and fully closed at 260 after. At the same time the intake valve is opening starting at 120 before TDC. This is called the valve overlap where both are slightly open but in no way close to the piston.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Head on and torqued.  Chain and tensioner installed.  Shiny links lined up just where they should.  

I filed a tiny notch on the back of my cam gear to line up with the mark on the cam plate at TDC. 

Every 360 of the crank ends up with the #1 piston at TDC and my mark lining up. 

At first it was a little disconcerting that the shiny marks did not always line up, but after several revolutions they did again. 

I'm going to need the machine shop weld the front plate.   It has a corrosion opening between the 2 water pump chambers.  It may still work, but I think it will lessen the efficiency of the pump.

The front plate is now a bitch to get on and off.  Rubber hammer needed to bump it on.  It was not this way before the head/head gasket install.  The last time I did this I think I must have had the front cover on when I installed the head. 

Any problem with me having the machine shop shave off 5 thousands from the top of the front cover to make it go on and off easier?   Its hanging up on the gasket.  Everything will still line up OK from the pins on the engine. 

20240527_192508.jpg

Edited by atkinson40

I would have found a new or another front timing cover.

Maybe you can get by with this.

as installing the front timing cover i dont think shaving it will do it . Its supposed to be tight. but you kinda put the bottom on first at and angle then the top slides on with OUT pinching the gasket in the corner where it become a oil leaker..I know this the fiirst time I did it. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if it really bother you I guess you can get a block of wood and sand it as that front cover needs to go anyway

somebody should just send you another front cover

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Thanks 1

Before filing that notch the chain must be tight on the tension left side opposite the tensioner. The Notch should be slightly over to the distributor side but at least you have something there to show any change.

There are at a guess, around 100 links total on the chain, so with 20 teeth on the crankshaft sprocket, every turn moves the links 20 spaces clockwise. Looks like every 5 turns would bring the links back to their starting point. This is a very rough estimate.

image.jpeg.da4d1bc72ff11d9f47ea74e5add6635b.jpeg

Have this welded then milled flat. Or JB weld it and file down by hand. This is a perfect example of running tap water and no antifreeze. This is the inlet and outlet from the pump. Some is just going to go round and round. Better take a good look at where the pump sits in the timing cover. The back wall may be eroded and any leak just pisses water onto the timing chain and into the oil pump. Might be a better idea to replace with a used one. L18s are the same.

Yeah, if the block was cut, the front cover may need to be cut too, but know that it is supposed to be a tight fit. I always wait until the front cover is bolted tight before I torque the head bolts.

If you have been putting the cover on and taking it off since you put the head on, make sure you did not damage the head gasket at the top of the cover. You should probably put a bead of grey or black RTV on the top of the cover at final install.

Posted (edited)

I had the front cover welded.  Before i put it on I wanted to make sure the tensioner is OK.  

This looks like the tensioner is out farther than other pictures I've seen.  Or the guide is in too far, but the guide is out as far as it will go.

If the chain was stretched a bunch, the marks and bright chain links wouldn't be matching up as I turned the engine round and round?

There's no way I've got more than 20K on that chain, tensioner, and guide set.

20240528_161804.jpg

Edited by atkinson40

Rat tail file and oval the hole. Push tensioner all the way in, push slack side guide as far to your right as you can and tighten it down, release tensioner. It is, what it is. Looks fine to me. Maybe head was milled.

can you Squeeze the tensioner in and while doing that loosen the top slack side bolt guide and  push the guide over to the right to tighten the tensioner at the bottom. the chain will tighten it up.

I notice this happen to me also. I hade multiple Brands and actually the taiwan tensioner worked fitted better for soem reason. They looked the same but fitted differently

30 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Thanks banzai510

I already had it special ordered.  I'll have to live with it.  Autozone may have been where I bought it before.  I was able to work around the inspection hole issue by filing my own  notch.  I'll see how unworkable it is. 

On 5/29/2024 at 2:04 PM, banzai510(hainz) said:

I lucked out banzai, 

The set was not the same as the old one.  It had all the timing marks on the upper and lower sprocket.  Chain Links lined up.

I'm installing the oil pump. 

I'm going to kinda semi install it with a loose long bolt that leaves a gap between the cover and pump.  Just to get the spindle correct.

To prime it, there is a gap between the pump and cover that I can use an oil can to fill the pump with oil to prime it.  Then install the pump correctly.

I'll then turn the engine over by hand until I get oil coming out where its supposed to.

This OK?