Fusible link gauge?

Hey everyone,

Someone jumped my truck and hooked the wires up backwards for a moment, immediately blew the red and black fusible links.

What gauge are these? I've never dealt with these before, the guys at the parts store didn't seem to know anything. Can't seem to figure out what amperage they're rated for.

Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, MCRideFan53 said:

Hey everyone,

Someone jumped my truck and hooked the wires up backwards for a moment, immediately blew the red and black fusible links.

What gauge are these? I've never dealt with these before, the guys at the parts store didn't seem to know anything. Can't seem to figure out what amperage they're rated for.

Thanks!

Found this when I had an issue with my Fusable link, I just bypassed it but not sure it it will cause damage to something. Starts just fine though.

IMG_3559.gif

This is what Nissan uses...

image.jpeg.eba43e7c7116a18dc3e0cab74792f5f9.jpeg

You can probably buy the same rating from another maker that may be different color. You absolutely must not use a higher rating. Fusible links can survive short term currents far above their rating. Use similar wire lengths and solder them in.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Joecar said:

Found this when I had an issue with my Fusable link, I just bypassed it but not sure it it will cause damage to something. Starts just fine though.

The fusible links are only there in case of catastrophic damage not experienced in normal operation. The power wires from the battery to the ignition, lights and to the fuse box have to be fused. An accident can pinch these wires causing a short where hundreds of battery amps flowing through wireds to ground will light them up like a toaster and cause a fire.

Fusible links are insulated with Hypalon plastic that resists ignition while the wires inside melt and break the circuit. Ordinary wires of the proper size will do the same but the plastic will catch fire.

Fusible link wires should be 4 sizes (numerically) smaller than the wire they are protecting, and should be cut to the same length as the original fusible link.

If the wire ga is 10, then the fuse link would be 14ga. It gets tricky figuring out the gauge on Japanese cars, but there are markings on the wires and if you can still read them after all these years, you can convert the metric size to AWG. In a pinch, you can always strip the wire and measure it with a digital caliper.

https://www.lapptannehill.com/resources/technical-information/metric-to-awg-conversion-chart

PICO sells fusible link by the foot.

• Thanks 1