Supercharged Body Swapped 1992 WD21 Pathfinder.

I am just getting all my projects out there for you folks to see.

This one started in 2013 when I purchased a 1986.5 Long Bed HD V6 Hardbody with a poor running engine. I parted the truck out and saved many good bits, including the cab. In 2018 I purchased a 1992 WD21 Pathfinder with a blown engine and front end damage for $250. From there I chopped the body off and dropped the 86.5 cab on to it. I ended up swapping it to 5 speed and dropping in a VG33ER from an 2003 Xterra in it. It is still running the VG30e ecm and has been a bit of a hassle to get running but last summer I figured it out and had it running solid. Still a ton of work to do but it is way past the bare frame it started as. It's name is Double Dare XL and I plan to have it finished, registered and on the road this Summer.

Double Dare XL, my other huge project...

Running but before I replaced the injectors and did some minor tweaks. 6psi.

The day the cab went on to the frame.

The entire 70+ video series can be seen here...  Video#5 is when the project really takes a turn.

Edited by Pounding Rox Truck Shop
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pounding Rox Truck Shop said:

Check out the RC truck by Kyosho, the Double Dare. Mine is kind of a hat tip to that thus the XL for Xtra Large. The wheels are pretty damn close too.

rad

99998: Kyosho from Dante77 showroom, Kyosho Double Dare 4WDS - Tamiya RC &  Radio Control Cars

I have the same wheels on my cj5

IMG_3862.jpeg.27e8c82870d6826a5180d1bad2d1d87b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like I am replacing the power steering pump. Too many times run dry while getting the engine to run in the first place. It runs and drives now but the pump suffered. I guess I wasn't thinking because of the pure shock this thing ran in the first place.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ordered some stuff to relocate the FPR from the end of the fuel rail to the firewall. I also ordered an Aeromotive adjustable FPR with boost reference. These OEM Nissan FPRs are junk when it comes to a project like this. With the new FPR I should be able to control things a little bit better. So off comes the blower again, and hopefully for the last time for a long time!

The latest on the project. When you hit a wall you can try to climb it or smash through it. This project has dragged on for so long I have now taken to smashing instead. I am writing the book on this, there is no guide and each step reveals new challenges to figure out. I will have this thing done and done to the best I can.

• Like 1

So I got everything installed on the fuel pressure regulator side of things. It went smooth. I have the 90deg fitting on the end of the fuel rail which deletes the OEM regulator and allows me to send fuel to an external boost-referenced manual regulator with a gauge mounted on the fire wall. Only hang up is I damaged gaskets taking the blower off. Actually, the number of times I have had the blower off has stressed the gaskets. I ordered a new set. Once the blower is back on we can test it again. Fingers crossed. 

YT vid is coming soon.

Did you do a body lift to clear the super charger?  I've always wanted a VG33R in my D21!  Or basically anything with more power then the Z24 haha. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 3:12 PM, Icehouse said:

Did you do a body lift to clear the super charger?  I've always wanted a VG33R in my D21!  Or basically anything with more power then the Z24 haha. 

Yes, it has a 3" body lift. And I feel you on the z24. I have one and it's quite slow. I enjoy the truck it's in but I think a VG33ER would solve the power problem. 

Update: The blower is back on and the truck is registering fuel pressure on the gauge. Will key it over later this week to see how it acts now.

Edited by Pounding Rox Truck Shop
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Finally had the bandwidth to turn the key on this project. It took a lot to prepare myself for more failure but to my surprise I got a WIN!

I did have a power wire pop out of its crimp after this video which led to chasing a no power at all situation but I did finally get that fixed and was able to continue moving around the yard. It runs and idles beautifully now!! 

• Like 1