L20b with 280z transmission

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You mean close ratio? those were only on the '80-'83 non turbo 280zx. '77-'78 280z 5 speeds were mid ratio. First year '79 280zx was also. Have a look at the top of your speedometer cable where it enters the transmission. If the 10mm hold bolt is at the 12 o'clock position it's definitely not a close ratio.

CAebpFO.jpg

There are three possible sizes of clutch 200mm, 225mm and 240mm. The clutch size is a function of the receiving bolt pattern on the flywheel. You can't interchange them. Car L20B flywheels used a 200mm clutch. Trucks and most Z cars used a 225mm clutch with the later Z24 truck using a 240mm clutch.

Your clutch size can be decided by measuring the diameter of the disc contact surface.

This is for an L16/18 and is 200mm.

hvnWsKA.jpg

Measure your flywheel or know what one you plan to get.

There isn't a lot of difference between truck and Z car clutches, in fact the '73-'78 240/260280z, the '74-'79 620, the non turbo 280zx  all have the same clamping pressure of 1213 pounds or 550Kg. Take your pick.

As ALL pressure plates come in differing diaphragm heights the correct matching release bearing collar must be used. Try to buy a clutch/PP assembly that includes the collar. If you can't, find out which PP you select and I can look up the Nissan part number

• Like 2
  • datzenmike changed the title to L20b with 280z transmission

Thanks for responding quickly bro, I'll quickly explain how the matter is. I bought a l20b engine and a 280z close ratio transmission, this engine was supposedly from a 1978 620 truck, or at least that's what the guy told me, the idea is to do a swap for my father's 620 which has a j15 engine.
ok now I measured the flywheel that came with the engine and it measures 200mm, the transmission is close ratio and I already verified it with the instructions you gave me. Now I need to know which clutch kit I need to buy along with a light flywheel thanks again

Alright then. Well if buying a light flywheel you can choose what ever clutch size you like from 200mm to 225mm even a 240mm. You are not restricted to 200mm if you don't want to. I wouldn't even bother with a lightened one. The truck flywheel is 29 pounds. Weigh yours, if from a car it's likely 21 pounds so already lighter.

Well the transmission is still a much later 280zx 5 speed.

The 620 L20B would have had a 225mm flywheel, but it could have been swapped for a 200mm unknown to the seller.

If going with a 200mm pressure plate the stoutest one is for the earlier '67-'69 R20 engine Roadster. I don't know if these are still available but the part number is 30210-20111 and it as a clamping force of 650Kg or 1435 pounds. I think Exedy has replacement for it. Again get the matching release bearing with it.

The J series engines have the engine mounts in a different place that an L20B so it's not going to just drop in. Is the 620 from Mexico or Latin America??? We didn't get the J series in our 620s.

• Like 1

Ok then I can buy a 225mm kit along with the flywheel without problems.

I know it's not about swapping engines and that's it, I know this needs modifications.

I'm still trying to make a list of the things I need to do the swap.

I live in NJ but my father has the car in Costa Rica, which is why the car has a J15 engine.

It is a Datsun U620 that is a little rare to find but he has had it since new in 73 and now he wants to do the swap and I am trying to help him but I am a little new to this.

I would like to send my father the complete swap without anything missing, which is why I am looking for help here.

Well, he'll have to cut the mounts off and move them on the frame.

The J15 probably has the same F4W63 4 speed that's 26" long so your 31.5" zx 5 speed will need about 5.5" cut out to shorten it and a new cross member made for the transmission mount.

The L20B had better have come out of a truck because a car oil pan will not work in a truck. Got a picture of the oil pan from the side?

• Like 1

I was trying to send you the photos of the transmission and the flywheel before but I don't know where the option is to send you fury from my gallery. Now I want to send you photos of it oil pan and I can't either. Do you have a Facebook or something similar where I can send you the photos?