Gilmer belts and pulleys

Is Gilmer a brand name or a type of belt? For a 3:1 pulley system that can handle horsepower and (more importantly torque) I have  been instructed to get a Gilmer drive, but I can't figure  out which pulleys would make a 3:1. Any ideas? (If I could identify them there is a second hand market that could hold promise)  

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gilmer is a style of toothed drive belt and pulley system that cannot slip. Good for superchargers and centrifugal superchargers. 

image.jpeg.410558698b53f6b4783b70cd394bb81c.jpeg

Seems a little excessive to me.

3:1 or the crankshaft pulley diameter must be three times the diameter of the 'accessory'.

7 hours ago, frankendat said:

Is Gilmer a brand name or a type of belt? For a 3:1 pulley system that can handle horsepower and (more importantly torque) I have  been instructed to get a Gilmer drive, but I can't figure  out which pulleys would make a 3:1. Any ideas? (If I could identify them there is a second hand market that could hold promise)  

Who gave you those instructions? Seems very odd.

On 2/29/2024 at 12:38 AM, ratpatrol66 said:

Who gave you those instructions? Seems very odd.

On 2/29/2024 at 8:30 AM, datzenmike said:

Again... WTF are you building? 1 to 1 differential, 68 ft lbs torque, Gilmer belt for AMR300/500???

It is the project that lurks in my mind, but usually is last priority. The man who recommended the Gilmer belts is a builder of land speed record cars and I am fortunate he took the time to answer my inquiry. I continue to inquire because, while he had good information it only applies to one potential piece. The answer to all my questions is "build it and find out" but I lack funds to build things that don't work. To save typing, the closest example to my project is https://www.motherearthnews.com/sustainable-living/green-transportation/hydraulic-drive-train-zmaz78mazjma/

incorporating elements from 

with the goal of having a hydraulic hybrid capable of 60 mph (2wd) or 30 mph (4wd) that achieves 50 mpg (diesel)(2wd) Those are my lowest "success" goals, meaning if I pull off those numbers I will consider the project a success, however I am cautiously confident of achieving greater.

Hydraulic parts are expensive (for quality) surplus "new" hydraulic parts are not. Surplus hydraulic parts are low rpm high torque but torque and rpm are relative. For sometime I considered 250 ft. lbs. of torque plenty, because my FJ40 made 250 ft. lbs. or torque and could climb a tree. But, as I am sure you know, the gearing of the FJ40 magnifies into thousands of ft. lbs. at the wheel, so I looked into larger hydraulic motors (to avoid the inefficiencies of gearing) and the only way I could work it out was with a 1:1 diff (or 2:1) Couldn't find viable candidates and I pivot to a new "rabbit hole" attempting to solve my problem. There is so very much more e.g. weight, HP, rolling resistance, air resistance, grade, continuous torque, peak torque, acceleration, HP/torque to maintain speed and on and on and on. Then there are times when I abandon an option when it becomes too complicated or too computer (new) dependent. The Mother Earth News rig was analog, I don't mind some computer control, but nothing that has less than a couple decades of reliable and efficient service behind it.  

• Like 1

You may notice that most of this technology is old and no longer pursued. In the 2000's hydraulic hybrids were largely abandoned for electric hybrids. The decision was as political as it was scientific. Money poured into electric projects and programs advancing the science and dominating the space. I still believe and have strong evidence to suggest that hydraulics are an excellent renewable energy or more exactly energy extending resource, but hydraulics did not benefit from the influx of money and innovation and aside from specialty markets are cost prohibitive. However, as long as surplus remnants and industrial components can be found for dimes on the dollar, there exists potential for bodgers to exploit this technology.  

Two more abandoned projects that would benefit my project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0qeeikH67c

https://videos.eaton.com/detail/videos/hybrid-power/video/3032193734001/eaton-hybrid-power-hydraulic-launch-assist?autoStart=true

Posted (edited)

A current rabbit hole: Gerotor/geroler hydraulic motors are more efficient at lower rpms (generally, the ones I have access too) Hydraulic piston motors are more efficient at higher rpm. In 2wd a high rpm hydraulic piston motor could be channeled through a standard transmission efficiently but would be substandard at lower speeds. If an accumulator was employed that captured both regenerative and excess ICE production,(ICE coupled to hydraulic pump feeding accumulator) and a gerotor/gerolerr motor coupled to the front wheels or front axle fed by the accumulator disengaging when the efficiency powerband of the piston motor was achieved. then this would allow the hydraulic system to maintain the most efficient posture (inefficiencies of any needed gearing notwithstanding) Additionally, the piston motor  could be channeled through a standard transmission and transfer case to operate the rear axle in the torque band and rpm of the gerotor/geroler powered front axle, in 4wd (I am less concerned of efficiency (mpg) numbers in 4wd) both Addidrive and Bosch developed and discontinued software and hardware that syncs front axle and rear axle hydraulic motors. I maintain a search for it. 

Edited by frankendat
spelling