Safe RPM

Socalman

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So redeye’s bracket and correct mount all lined up great. But trans seems to be offset to the right side. Engine seems correctly set with brackets and mounts it came with..it longer than the 4 speed but hopefully I can still be comfortable shifting once I put the bench seat back in it…..any thoughts?

IMG_3394.jpeg

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

That's a 71B transmission from an L series engine with a Z series front case on it?

It’s a 71B, I don’t know if it’s from an L series, it bolted up to the Z24 block, I used the 4 speed upped dust plate and L series starter. I was sold the engine and transmission that was installed in a 510. I saw pictures of the engine in the car but not the transmission…any markings to look for?

12 hours ago, Socalman said:

It’s a 71B, I don’t know if it’s from an L series, it bolted up to the Z24 block, I used the 4 speed upped dust plate and L series starter. I was sold the engine and transmission that was installed in a 510. I saw pictures of the engine in the car but not the transmission…any markings to look for?

Can you take a picture of the top front of the transmission where it bolts to the engine. This one was made before 1980 so was never used on a Z series engine. To fit a KA it would need the front case swapped. If an L series transmission the rear half would be twisted to the right somewhat like what you have.

2 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

What engine mounts are those? They don't look factory. 

15 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Looks like the transmission is rotated, not sitting level.

Could the two front mounts be swapped?

image.jpeg.3b35e4adef9ccf8ecee85ac3a199fed3.jpeg

Is that a welded L for left?

Those are the mounts it came with from a 510 car. Here is a picture of the left mount in the car, you’ll need to zoom in, I can’t really be swapped because of the oil filter as seen in second picture..

IMG_3030.jpeg

IMG_3401.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Can you take a picture of the top front of the transmission where it bolts to the engine. This one was made before 1980 so was never used on a Z series engine. To fit a KA it would need the front case swapped. If an L series transmission the rear half would be twisted to the right somewhat like what you have.

It’s pretty tight in there but I’ll add some pictures of it before I cleaned it up….

IMG_3402.jpeg

IMG_3403.jpeg

• Like 1