Rough/hard throttle response after coasting?

1980 Datsun 720 4x4. Basically in any gear, after coasting in gear. I get a fairly consistent hard throttle response. The accelerator is fine/smooth. It's the reengagement of the fuel/throttle that causes a kick of sorts. Any thoughts as to what could be worn or damaged? 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Son_of_a_Nun said:

1980 Datsun 720 4x4. Basically in any gear, after coasting in gear. I get a fairly consistent hard throttle response. The accelerator is fine/smooth. It's the reengagement of the fuel/throttle that causes a kick of sorts. Any thoughts as to what could be worn or damaged? 

I generally assume manual transmission... any chance this is an automatic?

My Charger had a loud bang and would shake the car when stepping on the gas after slowing. It was an automatic so it always had a slight load on the driveshaft when driving but it was like there was slack, a lot of slack in the drive train that when taken up would bang. Eventually I found that I could turn the differential almost a 1/4 of a turn between coasting and under load. I pulled it and the pin that held the spider gears had pounded a large slot in the carrier that holds the ring gear. In fact it had already cracked the casting and was on the verge of breaking out. 

• Like 1

You don't have to swap mounts for new, just check and eliminate them as the cause. I've learened the hard way not to fix what isn't broken.

As to the differential, place in neutral and try turning the drive shaft at the differential pinion. Normally it will rock back and forth through the normal gear lash maybe 1/4"-1/2". In my case the pinion mate shaft had pounded sideways almost all the way through the carrier casting.

image.jpeg.d8a9686e29cb2a6cb1b45d3cc2629206.jpeg

• Like 2