5 Spd Swap

I have a lead on a 60A 5sp transmission from a 310 that I might want to swap into my '78 B210. I understand this shuld be a direct swap, I just may need some parts from the donor car. A few questions about this:

1. Will there be a tradeoff in terms of acceleration? I do short highway drives on a regular basis so don't "NEED" the 5spd but it might be nice if there isn't a huge tradeoff. But if the ratios are different enough where aceleration around town would be impacted I'd rather not do it.

2. How many hours of labour approximately would it be for a mechanic to swap in?

3. My current transmission has 46,000 kms on it, the new one would have 86,000 miles. Would I feel a difference in terms of feel?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The FS5W60A 5 spd. and the F4W60 4 spd. have the same first four ratios.

The FS5W60A just has a 5th over drive added which drops the RPMs 17.9% So if at highway speeds and you are driving at 3,500 RPMs, the shift into 5th will drop it 626 RPMs to 2,873. Over drives are not intended to allow you to go faster only drop your cruising RPMs to reduce wear and tear and possibly increase your mileage.

I would guess that the 4 speed can be removed in a couple of hours and the 5 speed put back in in the same time. Say from noon till supper time allowing for the emptying of the old, disconnecting the driveshaft, clutch slave and the shifter and the installation of the new and reverse order the removal. A shop might do it in 4 hours.

Note: I would definitely replace the high wear item release bearing.

You could do this yourself, they only weigh 55 pounds. What does a shop charge per hour?

• Like 1

Datsuns are some of the easiest cars to learn how to do your own repairs on, especially the B210. Unless you are highly constrained on time or space, or physically unable to do so, doing your own work will save you quite a bit of money and make it easier for you to diagnose problems in the future. 

You also might want to consider getting the clutch disc replaced while they have it open, replace the release bearing, the rear output seal on the transmission (this pops out and you can do it yourself in about 1 min) and the rear rubber transmission mount. 

I'd also suggest taking a good luck at the fluid (along with changing it to a GL4) and check any play on the transmission shaft on the 5spd before swapping it.

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, NewDirection said:

3. My current transmission has 46,000 kms on it, the new one would have 86,000 miles. Would I feel a difference in terms of feel?

More wear, may make more sound. When you get it running you tell us. GL-4 80/90w gear oil.

Before installing put a new output seal in. Only a few bux. 32132-H5000

• Like 1

I have 2 1200's. One is 4SPD and one is 5SPD. The 1200 evolved into the B210. I am not sure if the B210 used the same 4 SPD as the 1200 but here is my 2 cents worth.

The 4SPD is a little more "punchy" in 1st and 2nd gear. By that I mean quicker acceleration and quicker to gain higher RPM's. Other than that, mostly the same with the exception of highway speeds. The 4 SPD revs quite a bit higher at 55 MPH or above.

Replacement of the above mentioned parts is a good idea. There should be an intermediate plate between the block and the transmission, make sure it goes along with the transmission swap( the B210 may or may not have one). Compare the release bearing collars to see if they are the same height. I have found and least 4 different sizes between 1200, B210, and 210.

I thought the 310's were a front wheel drive(at least in the states).

• Like 1

The B-210 (F4W60) used the same ratios as the 210 4 and 5 speeds. However the very earliest B-210 used an F4W56A with a very low first gear 3.757 compared to the F4W60/F4W60L and FS5W60L's 3.513. The 3.757 would take off faster but it was a lighter transmission strength wise. 

• Like 1

Don't forget to drain the transmission before you pull the drive shaft.....I did that once, just once.

IIRC, this can be done with 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm sockets/wrenches and a crescent wrench. B210 may have 17mm on the crossmember but I am not sure.