how much is it worth?

sporeprince

hi all! 

my '84 720 4x4 has a blown head gasket 😞 i'm considering selling just because i don't really have the expertise or someone to help me... trying to figure out how much it's worth. it starts and runs, body is in good shape/no rust, new tires, shifts well (but 5th gear rattles), 4x4 hi and lo work. what would you pay for it?

also, if anyone has really good video tutorials on replacing head gasket they would be very much appreciated! 

thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No way to know what it is worth without pics but I wouldn't sell because the head gasket is blown. That is not a super difficult repair on these old trucks, plenty of people on here will help you through the process. Just don't start without getting a detailed step by step on it because there is one step in particular that you don't want to skip which is wedging the timing chain. I am sure if you run a google search you will find old threads on this site documenting the process.

Biggest question will be is the head warped which can be measured with a machinist's straight edge and feeler gauges. If it's not warped then the repair won't cost that much. How much are you willing to put into the repair? If the head happens to be warped or cracked it will cost several hundreds to repair. If the truck wasn't overheated the head is likely fine since these trucks are known for blowing head gaskets.

Do you have your own tools? You won't need anything special except for the timing chain wedge and a straight edge although I am sure many people put them back together without checking for flatness. Can't say I can recommend that though.

Anytime you are dealing with disassembling anything on these old trucks you also run the risk of breaking bolts/studs. If you do this yourself be very careful removing all bolts and nuts. If something feels like it is stripping or getting harder to remove, spray with penetrating oil and thread it back in and take your time removing. Usually they can eventually be freed without stripping, usually :-)

It's worth very little if not running. Besides buying it, a new owner still has to fix it as well. As it's non running a proper appraisal is difficult. Lots of other things wrong could be masked by not running. It's value is in parts on it that could be used for a running truck.

With a few wrenches, a place to work and a day or even a weekend you can change the head gasket for the cost of the gasket. About $30 up here in Canada.

You can do this! The first thing I ever did "internally" in an engine was replace the head gasket on an RB20. It was surprisingly easy, even being a newer motor with EFI and replacing the timing belt at the same time. Come to find out, it's just another gasket, like replacing the water pump.

If nothing else, pay to have someone do it before you sell. As Mike mentioned above, your truck is currently worth the sum of its parts. Paying someone $500 to do the HG, and then selling it for double what you could now, makes financial sense.

3 hours ago, sporeprince said:

hi all! 

my '84 720 4x4 has a blown head gasket 😞 i'm considering selling just because i don't really have the expertise or someone to help me... trying to figure out how much it's worth. it starts and runs, body is in good shape/no rust, new tires, shifts well (but 5th gear rattles), 4x4 hi and lo work. what would you pay for it?

also, if anyone has really good video tutorials on replacing head gasket they would be very much appreciated! 

thanks!

Livingston where? Value depends on which part of the country you live in.

I would unbolt the exhaust manifold and tie it out of the way. The intake I would leave on the head and lift them off together. The bolts are hard to get at and no chance of breaking anything.

For god's sake find out how to properly block the tensioner so it does not fall out when the cam sprocket is removed and the chain goes slack.

• Like 1