Oil catch can on a Datsun 620

Hey All.

i was just contemplating the idea of using an oil catch can on my 620. is it a good idea? i just want to avoid any impurities going into the combustion chambers. has anyone done it in a Datsun. I've seen it done on the hotrods but have not seen it done in the smaller four cylinder engine cars especially on a Datsun. any ideas on mounting locations would be great to see

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't waste your time. All cars ingest crankcase fumes and combustion by products and have been doing so since the PCV valve was introduced in '62.  Catch cans are a great waste of time and money circumventing the extremely efficient PCV valve which singlehandedly has increased engine life by double by keeping the engine and engine oil cleaner.  

I appreciate your insights on catch cans and PCV valves in cars. It's interesting to hear that you believe catch cans are unnecessary and that the introduction of the PCV valve in 1962 has significantly improved engine life by effectively managing crankcase fumes and combustion by-products. It's always valuable to consider different perspectives on automotive technologies, and your viewpoint sheds light on the efficiency and benefits of the PCV valve in keeping engines and engine oil cleaner.

Well they are unnecessary and have no purpose on street cars or all cars would be made with them installed. Some race courses might require them to reduce oil being thrown on the track when engines blow up and blow by is extreme. No street car needs them as the PCV does an excellent job of controlling any blow by and fumes. Then there's the clean up.... what you going to do with the condensed oil and water???? throw in the dump??? Catch cans are for wanna be 'race car drivers' and no more useful than a rear spoiler is to make you car 'look' like a race car.  

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

race courses might require them to reduce oil being thrown on the track

Pretty much the only real reason. The PCV system draws the blowby gasses back into the air feed and being burnt off

Body Kit and Trunk Spoiler Made of Wood | Ricer car, Weird cars, Wooden car

This totally says "Race Car" right??

well i thought the catch can keeps all impurities from going back into the engine. but i do think that if they were effective the manufacturers would be installing them in every car. I just thought I start the subject to see what the community has to say. I am not trying to make my 620 look or sound like a race car by any means and i hate to add un necessary stuff  to it either but i would like to extend the life of it and keep it in good shape. thanks for the input guys

Not wanting to disagree with Datzenmike, but saying a catch can serves no purpose on a street car is incorrect. A well set up catch can will greatly reduce oil build up in the intake manifold and will actually lower the emissions a vehicle produces.  Not sure if newer BMWs are set up this way, but In the 90's and early 2000's BMWs had an oil air separator. The oily air from the PCV valve would get swirled around, the oil would drop to the bottom and drain back into the oil pan and the air would flow into the intake manifold.  Essentially and oil catch can with a drain. 

• Like 1

Disagree all you like, don't mind me. As this is a Datsun forum I'll say they serve no use on a Datsun street car.

So rather than burning this small amount of oil you empty the catch can and recycle it? Riiight. Or send it back to pollute the oil in the crankcase?

This is a Datsun with carburetors and not direct injection where the valves gum up because there is no fuel to wash them or the intake clean.

• 5 weeks later...