headlights, highbeams and reverse lights ALL DO NOT FUNTION

I drive a 1981 Datsun 210 4dr. Every other  light on the car functions perfectly when turned on, The previous owner switched the headlights/highbeams to LED and the headlights and beams worked fine when i bought the car NOT RUNNING about a month ago but they stopped working after i by passed the starter relay and ignition switch to get it running.

please help. thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

maybe the ignition switch turn on other parts of the fuse box???????????

how abot put it back to stock and fix that.

usually the parking lamps and Lights work w/o the key switch anyways.

Japanese car use a switchable ground on the lamps.  Means if using a test ligh(grnd one and and take pointy end) all the prongs see 12v. then when you turn the Lamps ON one side will be grounded.

On 10/17/2023 at 12:48 PM, banzai510(hainz) said:

maybe the ignition switch turn on other parts of the fuse box???????????

how abot put it back to stock and fix that.

usually the parking lamps and Lights work w/o the key switch anyways.

Japanese car use a switchable ground on the lamps.  Means if using a test ligh(grnd one and and take pointy end) all the prongs see 12v. then when you turn the Lamps ON one side will be grounded.

cant be the ignition switch because i made my own custom one and hazards, signals, tail lights, brake lights fog lights, ceiling interior light and dash lights and gauge illumiation all work fine and those wont turn on unless the car is turned on and running.

i have the service manual and all the electrical diagrams for the car and from what i looked at the headlights are not wired through a relay or fuse but straight to the headlight settig switch attatched to the collumn (forgot what its called) so im thinking it could be that.

Headlights, side marker, front and rear running lights, interior light, clock, horn and brake lights should be able to be turned on at all times and not run through a switch.

Yes headlights have power directly from the headlight switch and there is either a switch or being an '81, probably a relay that grounds the lamps to select hi or low beams.

You've changed and modified so many things that it's fruitless to speculate what might be wrong at this point.

Custom wiring. Gotta figure out how to get power to the light relays. Make sure it's fused.

As Hainz said, having that much power go through the ignition switch is bound to cause problems. You could install a "circuit opening relay" which supplies power from a heavy duty, continuous duty solenoid (think Ford type) and the power from the ignition switch triggers the relay. Ive wired many vehicles this way.

https://www.zoro.com/search?q=Continuous Duty Solenoid 85 AMP - 12V

image.png.0031a57826e2d07a0c9bb783613ce7e8.png

• 3 months later...

okay so i solved the problem, all the lights work and everything, BUT. when i start the car sometimes the driving lights, horns and interior lights do not work and i have to get the car to about 15 miles per hour flicking the drive lights on and off ajd pressing the horn button until it all somehow flips on and the horn starts blaring and my brakelights and drive lights start working. what should i check or do to fix this? i suspect it has something to do with the electrical connections for my horns.

Has to be something common to all not 3 or 4 random things. You said you have the service manual so start with the fusible links and where they go. One fusible link feeds the headlights, the marker and parking lights including the license light, the clock, the interior light, brake lights and the horn. All these items are not controlled by the ignition switch. If the fusible link that feed them is blown or not making contact then none of them will work. If any of the above work then not the fusible link.

Next is the fuse box. Find the fuses for the above items and hold a quarter across the contacts. If they start working then the fuse is bad or not making contact.

Last is the headlight and parking light switch. These are known for the old grease getting hard and dry and collecting dirt. You may have to separate the twp piece plastic clam shell around the steering column to really get at the combined switch. Rinse it out with spray electrical contact cleaner and work the headlight and turn signals while doing so.

Horn

The horn has no connection to the headlight switch so the horn button contacts on the steering wheel simply are tarnished. While driving just tap the horn repeatedly to shine the contacts. Might take dozens of tries but keep at it till it works reliably. I suppose you could take the bezel off the steering wheel and polish them manually with fine emery cloth.

Interior light

The interior light also has nothing to do with the light switch. The switches on the doors are very subject to corrosion. Again like the horn button, work them by hand till they work or remove and clean. Put a little grease on them to prevent then tarnishing.

• 1 month later...