1985, 720 biggest tire/rim size?

Meesh

So I want to add some height to my 720. What are the biggest tires/rims I could put on it without having to alter the body and without having a lift kit? I do want to put a lift kit eventually but I just can’t afford it right now. I have seen some good deals on offer up etc... for used tires and rims. Forgive me if this is a dumb question but if the lug pattern is the same, is it possible to put bigger rims on it?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stock tire size is a hair over 26". The 720 4x4 can handle a 29" diameter but the 2wd will not go that high. An inch taller tire will gain you 1/2" of body lift. This is a waste of time and money. The 720 is already under powered and under geared. Using taller tires makes it even more under geared resulting in even worse, sluggish acceleration and as a bonus your speedometer will read slower than you are going.

Get your lift kit first. Then see if it even needs bigger tires.

• Like 1

I agree with all the rational arguments, but sometimes a bigger tire is just plain needed. Bigger tires to help in snow country and if you do any amount of off-roading, even dirt roads to your favorite fishing hole, added circumference can help there too.

Also, we're talking about classic enthusiast vehicles here. Almost nobody here needs to drive their Datsun every day, so making changes that may not be rational isn't really going to hurt.

Stock 2wd tires are 205/75R14 they are 26" tall and 8" wide. 255/60R14s are the same diameter but 10" wide.

To fit larger diameter tires the torsion bars need to be adjusted to raise the front end. As the front goes up it adversely adds camber. For every inch of tire diameter you only get 1/2" of vehicle lift.

• 2 weeks later...

You can fit any diameter rim on there you want, you just need to be aware of the tire outer diameter.  You can run rims 8 inches wide depending on offset and maybe wider if you go with a narrower tire.

I've run 30's just by cranking up the torsion bars a little, and just had a bit of rubbing on hard turns.  I have a 2 in lift on my 720 now and I'm running 31x10.5 on 15x8s.  I could MAYBE run 32s?  but it would be a rub fest on turns and hard bumps.  You really can't get over 31 to fit without serious lift.  There is a sheetmetal seam inside the front wheel well, where your feet sit inside the cab.  That seam can be cut ever inch or two and folded over with a hammer.  Thats a necessary step to run the bigger tires.