LR150-197B 12V-50A Hitachi alternator rebuild

builte

😌 I'm looking to completely refurbish my alternator because after reading some on here it seems everyone thinks the newer ones are crap. But I can't find any of the right staters brushes ect. Does anyone know of a kit I could buy to do this myself or is it a from scratch kind of job? Also thanks to everyone for helping me resolve past issues with my 720 I don't ever want to let it die.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had to modify the mount on the engine block and swap the V belt pulley but kept the original belt. Fitted a 100 amp 2002 Altima alternator. The plug had to change and I converted from external regulator but heater is now a tornado.

• Like 2

Right now I have found an original stator that is wrapped an OEM rectifier and brushes but I'm having a hard time finding the connecter peice for the alternator and as far as I can tell thats all I really need to have my alternator up and going again if i could figure out how to post photos on here i would for reference 

Only wear parts are the brushes and possibly the two ball bearings. (if making a noise) Stators have no moving parts and as long as wires pass a continuity test they are fine. Same with rectifier.

The late 720s did change their plug from the T type to these...

image.jpeg.8c58ff4c2a9cb3d077d51d47a263eadd.jpeg

If not charging or having problems the most likely cause is the brushes are worn out. If making noise then

the bearings.

Brushes are 23142-80W00 used on ALL '85 720 alternators. Only a few bucks. Try the Nissan dealer or take this number to NAPA and have them cross reference it to a supplier or contact an automotive electrical parts rebuilder that deals with starters and alternators.

• Thanks 1

For all the trouble, why not bring this alternator to a rebuild shop? There's a shop local to me that does excellent work and the cost is very reasonable. The most I've ever paid to have an alternator rebuilt is $170, and that was with an upgrade to 150 amp. The normal rebuild cost is around $100 and usually two day turn around.

• Thanks 2