American Racing Libre’s

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were two brands of Libre wheels. American Racing and Shelby. Both had a rough as-cast finish on the spokes from the factory, and also black painted, but I had a set that was a light grey and the finish looked original.

Here's a pic of my light blue 510 next to my brother's dark blue 510. Both with Libres. Photo taken around 1990.

Baby_Blue_510_small_zps396a80d7.jpg?widt

• Like 2

I think the matte clear would work.  I have had probably 4 sets over the years, at least three of them AR (only have one set left now).  Some were as-cast as mentioned, some were black painted.  The painted versions I did not have from new, so no idea if previous owners painted them or not.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 7/28/2023 at 6:26 AM, FrankL said:

Thanks for the info.

I came across some valuable info this morning. On BRE's website.

https://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=B&Category_Code=bre_datsun_wheels

Wheel Colors: In having wheels made which replicate the look of the Le Mans and Libre wheels which ran on the BRE Datsuns, we chose dark gray as the color that best represents the BRE racers. You will see this referred to as BRE gray. The Libre-style wheels are also available in silver.

On 7/26/2023 at 5:17 PM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

There were two brands of Libre wheels. American Racing and Shelby. Both had a rough as-cast finish on the spokes from the factory, and also black painted, but I had a set that was a light grey and the finish looked original.

Here's a pic of my light blue 510 next to my brother's dark blue 510. Both with Libres. Photo taken around 1990.

Baby_Blue_510_small_zps396a80d7.jpg?widt

That's the first 510 I ever rode in  I've got 2 sets of americans and both are cleared over cast.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 12:52 PM, Diabolic kustoms said:

That's the first 510 I ever rode in  I've got 2 sets of americans and both are cleared over cast.

I got a ticket in it 20 minutes after purchasing it. Officer Lou Doty. Nice guy actually. I went to his retirement party.

10 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I got a ticket in it 20 minutes after purchasing it. Officer Lou Doty. Nice guy actually. I went to his retirement party.

I'm gonna guess he may have given you more than one if you went to his retirement party.

• Like 1

Over the years, yes. He would eventually pull us over to see how we were doing. Cops like this help society. Kinda like the old timey small town Sheriffs. They were there not only to keep the peace, but they were part of the community as well.

13 hours ago, KELMO said:

I'm gonna guess he may have given you more than one if you went to his retirement party.

• Like 1