ICM ground issue

Treycookies

1985 z24 king cab

Haven’t been able to get a spark passed my distributor despite it being extremely clean. I ran through the diagnostic tests listed in my repair manual and when testing the ICM ground (voltmeter from negative battery terminal to distributor housing metal and crank the engine) I got .25 volts. The manual suggests replacing the icm if it’s less than .5 volts. Is there a way to repair this or do I need to shell out for the 50 dollar part? 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I put in a new icm and… nothing. Same result on the ground test (.25v) and still no spark to the plugs. I am getting spark from the coils- they both test good and wires from the coil produce spark. But nothing coming out of the distributor has spark. Any ideas?

2 hours ago, Treycookies said:

Ok so I put in a new icm and… nothing. Same result on the ground test (.25v) and still no spark to the plugs. I am getting spark from the coils- they both test good and wires from the coil produce spark. But nothing coming out of the distributor has spark. Any ideas?

Have you replaced the cap and rotor recently too?

Is there any chance you have the wrong cap or rotor on the distributor?

Not even sure if that's possible...

Only other thing I think of is the timing is so far off its firing in between..... 

Have you messed with the distributor at all?

2 hours ago, Treycookies said:

Sorry what do you mean by that? They both test good on primary and secondary circuits and produce a spark when cranked. 

So when starting, the coils fire?????????? Well then the module is working then.

Rotor is likely positioned between wires and can't get to the plugs.

Set engine to TDC compression on number one cylinder. Take the cap off the distributor. The rotors should be pointing to the number one plug wires.

• Like 1