Intermittent 1st gear grind

stuart720

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He did and I think this was while it was in the 1st gear position. I suggester holding it firmly in first and he reported it was less grinding.

On 7/26/2023 at 1:40 PM, stuart720 said:

I see. So 100% driving it like a normal person would. Push the clutch in, shift to first, let clutch out, apply throttle, rpms hit 2000-3000, "rink"-"grind", let off throttle/ apply clutch/or power through, noise disappears. Not a problem in any other gear. And it's intermittent, It does not happen every time I'm in first. Roughly 1/10 times the noise is there

The pull to the right is something trying to seize I bet.

• Like 1

Yes happens only IN gear, rolling down the road, 1st ONLY, around 2-3k on rpms. And it's still extremely random.

Pushing the shifter up and left helps, when it happens, some. I do not make this motion a habit tho.

New motor and clutch kit...

flywheel and tranny are the same ones I've been running for 12 years. 

Didn't touch he transmission other than to separate, install throw out, and marry to the new

Ideas on what you think is seizing?

I have a hard time making sense of any of it. If something was failing I would expect to gradually experience it more. Not just Tuesday afternoon after 50 miles pulling away from a stop sign. And that might be it for the week.

Sorry, too lazy to check back. I remember now. Well from the description something is rubbing something moving. If a grind, then something not smooth but gear like, and only randomly in first.

lLiXFSh.jpg

First gear on the mainshaft is the one on the far right. The first gear on the counter shaft that drives it is below it. The adapter plat to it's tight supports the mainshaft with a ball bearing. That little sheet metal thing sticking out of the adapter plate is called a 'gutter' and it catches oil splash and directs it into the tail shaft side of the adapter plate to improve circulation on that other side. Can't see it rubbing hard enough to fit the description.

• Like 1

Pushing up and left on the shifter while in first is going to move the shift fork ever so slightly. If this does in fact help, then ther has to be a problem inside the trans. Could be with the shift fork or shift rail, or the sleeve, hub or pawl springs inside the hub (that locate the synchro). There is a roll pin that holds the shift fork onto the shift rail and these have been known to break or walk out partway. If it starts to walk out of the fork, it could protrude into the gear, causing the noise. As an improvement, there are "dual" roll pins which have a small roll pin stuffed inside the outer pin. These are about twice as strong both in shear strength and in the tension that holds them into the fork.

I know you said you didn't have the trans apart, so maybe this is just coincidental timing.