1985 720 4x4 Electrical Issue

Alaniz720

Hello all,

I just purchased a new alternator recently and figured I would upgrade my battery cables as well. The problem I have run into is that the previous owner butchered the fusible link and rewired it directly to the positive cable. Seeing as I’m getting rid of the old cable I sourced a fusible link from someone recently and was able to connect it directly to the original connectors. I am now lost  as to what to do with the wire and fuse in image #2. That wire runs directly to the black piece in image #1. So here’s my question what is the black piece in image #1 and where does the wire and fuse originally connect to and what do I do with it?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can swap to a circuit breaker sized to your alternator in place of the fusible link.

These come in all sorts of amperages. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-CB285-60-Surface-Mount-Circuit-Breakers/dp/B01FWMM09O/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=bussmann+circuit+breaker+12v&qid=1690289481&sprefix=bussman+circu%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-3

All fusible links start at the positive battery post. For non California US models it's...

Green to a White/Black stripe that goes to power the ignition switch

Black to a White wire that goes to the charging system and all the fuses from #10 to #13 such as horn and brake lights.

Green to a red wire to that goes to power headlights Fuse #14 and #15

Nissan fuse ratings by color...

siravgI.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. So the issue really isn’t the fusible link as I have one installed now. More so the red wire just hanging there with a fuse attached to it from that black piece behind the window fluid revisor. Would I still attach it to the positive post?

IMG_2856

Above: is the fusible link I will be connecting to positive cable so there will be no need to rework it.

Below:so the photo below is what I’m referring to. Do I still need to add that wire and fuse to the positive cable or do I get rid of it? Or what is it originally supposed to attach to? 

IMG_2857