Interior stinks of gas

I can't see any leaks in or around the car but the interior stinks of gas and it's making me feel lightheaded...lifted the carpets and i'm not 100% sure what's going on here but does this setup look correct? I assume this is the wiring for the fuel pump running along the floor and then squashed under the rear seat (I hope it's not actually a fuel line lol) - and then I have two plugs just laying on the trunk floor near the fuel tank..

Battery etc are completely disconnected as i'm scared of any kind of spark with the stench of gas.

I can take more photos if it helps

fuel1.jpg

image-67210753

image-67161345

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

image-67161345

This is the gas gauge sender and tail lights wiring, I hope???

Check the filler hose to the tank and next see if you have a gas tank vent line (aluminum I think) that goes to the flow guide valve on the left strut tower. European 510? may not have this but the tank may have the outlet pipe (sealed) and the seal may have come off letting fumes out into the boot. (trunk)

Is there anything above the gas tank? We got multiple ways to collect fumes from the tank to keep them escaping into the environment. Is there anything above the tank?

fuel1.jpg

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Check the filler hose to the tank and next see if you have a gas tank vent line (aluminum I think) that goes to the flow guide valve on the left strut tower.

I think DM is talking about the 3 way valve, in the engine compartment, on the left strut tower. If so, I do not see anyting other than what looks to be windshield washer line coming out of the floor and laying in the spare tire wheel well.

Have you removed the fuel sending unit recently? And, if so, did you replace the o-ring for it with a new one or reuse the old one?

FWIW, both of my 1200's smell like gas, I just roll down the windows.😆

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Europe may not have the same emissions package for collecting and storing gas tank fumes.

sorry I should have explained the car is originally from Japan

also @KELMO i have not removed anything yet, everything is as i bought it so not sure what work has been done

i've covered that open line up already with some tape and ordered some new pipe...i tried refitting the original but it's all crumbly and rotten! also ordered a new gasket for the gas cap as the one on there at present is completely perished which probably doesn't help with things.. thank you guys :)

(this is the pipe that is supposed to go in that open line, it leads out through the trunk floor)

pipe.jpg