Catalytic converter placement

Madkaw

I’ve been looking at my FSM but wanted to know if anyone had pics of a cat on a 4x4 ?

Looks like they placed it just about a foot in front of the muffler - which seems pretty far down the line . Looks like it ran close to the transfer case 

thanks 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, powderfinger said:

I don't have a pic but it was right beside the transfer case. There was also a piece that attached the frame to guard the edge of the converter.

That what it looked like in the FSM . Kind of far from the manifold , but maybe that’s all the closer it needs to be 

It is connected to the pipe leading from the exhaust manifold,then another center tube pipe connects to the cat that which that connects to the muffler.All these parts are no longer available from Nissan.There is also a hanger there.I had to make one for mine.My cat has been removed,I took it to a muffler shop and had him install the muffler tail pipe assembly.These are hard to find now.He ran a pipe from the Exhaust pipe coming from the exhaust manifold to the muffler,where the cat was.The hangar there won't work with the straight pipe installed. I found one from NAPA and put it there.The hangar at the muffler is still good.I found a muffler shop do this cause a cat is suppose to be on it.It runs way better without the cat.If you can,get rid of the cat.See my exhaust,no cat...I also have a Nissan FSM...The pipe leaving the exhaust manifold has also been replace as the exhaust manifold,on my 3rd one.The second exhaust manifold came from Nissan,I put it on long ago.The one on it now is not Nissan.All my exhaust is connected by clamps,no welds.The part you see connected to the end of the tail pipe has been removed.VAUM3Id.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Maybe, @Madkaw fill out your profile to include your state of residence.  To me, Bloomington means CA, San Bernardino County, which is totally different from Bloomington IN, or probably Bloomington any other state.

If CA, then you well know you need to keep your catalytic converter, or just get an illegal smog.  Being you are asking for proper placement of the converter, I'll take the context of the question to mean your in California.

While I don't know the location for the 4x4, I'd imagine it be near the regular RWD, which is under the bed  If you need a catalytic converter, I can say by experience, you can install a magna flow 22757, which is the federal converter and pass smog by the numbers, as I did.  Of course, your engine and engine needs to be similar to mine, but it can pass without too much effort.  The risk is, if examined, you won't have a converter with a AQMD EO #, which would be a fail. 

Take it to a shop that won't look so closely, you're fine.  I take my vehicles to the same guy, 5 vehicles every two years, so good business.  He doesn't look so closely.

So, please indicate What Bloomington you are in 🙂

A little more advice, they won't ship a 48 state converter to CA, you will need to have it shipped to some where nearby.  I had mine shipped to my Vegas hotel room.  Had to pay a handling fee by the hotel, but got it!

In theory it is a federal requirement to run a cat. Getting caught or in trouble if you live in BFE unlikely but muffler shops refusing to work on your rig is more likely. I actually want to add a cat to mine to run cleaner. I have one that has been there sitting on a shelf looking at me for about 6 years. Someday it will make it on.

6 hours ago, 720_Jeff said:

Maybe, @Madkaw fill out your profile to include your state of residence.  To me, Bloomington means CA, San Bernardino County, which is totally different from Bloomington IN, or probably Bloomington any other state.

If CA, then you well know you need to keep your catalytic converter, or just get an illegal smog.  Being you are asking for proper placement of the converter, I'll take the context of the question to mean your in California.

While I don't know the location for the 4x4, I'd imagine it be near the regular RWD, which is under the bed  If you need a catalytic converter, I can say by experience, you can install a magna flow 22757, which is the federal converter and pass smog by the numbers, as I did.  Of course, your engine and engine needs to be similar to mine, but it can pass without too much effort.  The risk is, if examined, you won't have a converter with a AQMD EO #, which would be a fail. 

Take it to a shop that won't look so closely, you're fine.  I take my vehicles to the same guy, 5 vehicles every two years, so good business.  He doesn't look so closely.

So, please indicate What Bloomington you are in 🙂

A little more advice, they won't ship a 48 state converter to CA, you will need to have it shipped to some where nearby.  I had mine shipped to my Vegas hotel room.  Had to pay a handling fee by the hotel, but got it!

Indiana . I converted my engine to PEFI . I have a Bosal cat that is supposedly a factory replacement though it’s 2.25” . Too late to return so I will install it