720 Motorhome

vitracker

Hi,

I came across this forum looking for information on my 720 motorhome I acquired the fall. I've since did some front end work, brakes, some minor fixes inside and out. I found the 720 FSM and it helped a lot. I have no been able to find anything on the "vanguard" camper and wondering if perhaps someone on here had one. It was constructed in BC. The only thing I couldn't get working was the horn and horn button. I just added a push button for now, just to have it working.

Just wanted to say hello.

It amazingly drives along pretty good. I can't think of any other early 80's carbureted 4 cylinders that could push thing along, but the Z24 seems up to the task.

5xsdl7i.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put your location in your profile. I'm on the Island.

The Z24 is a torque monster of an engine and was only used in trucks.

They do tend to blow head gaskets every 100k so once a year when the engine is cold loosen one head bolt and tighten to 60 ft lbs. Only then move to the next bolt and loosen/tighten it. With only one bolt loose at a time you can do in any order you like. This will keep a uniform clamping pressure on the gasket.

• Like 1

I'm on the "other" island... Newfoundland! This thing made the cross country journey at some point before I owned it. I kept front plate BC on since we only issue rear plates here 😉 

Thanks for the tip on the head bolts. I will do that next time I'm under the hood. It has 157,000km, and everything looks original.