Rear running lights and dash backlight not working

Dannyboii

Headlights come on, but I don’t have taglights, running lights or backlighting on the cluster. The gauges all work, including the brake light and bright indicator, I don’t have functional turn signals either. Nothing happens at all when I flick the stalk. I found a side marker that was grounding out and popping the fuse, I fixed it and the fuse no longer pops. But still no running lights. Any ideas? Could it be the headlight switch itself? (I also checked behind the fuse panel and everything back there is fine) ** 1979 Datsun 210 wagon

UPDATE: took the column apart, the contacts on the switch were corroded, cleaned em up and how its all good. Thanks a million.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what fuses feeds the all the lights at issue. On a 40+ yr old electrical system the ground short may have caused an issue down the line. Do the sidelight come on? If you have a manual and a simple electrical meter, you can test out the power coming from the the fuse box to the light switching  going to the running lights. Very unlikely, but if that all checks out trace it out to the junction splice in the harness.

Mike will likely know exactly what's going on so sit tight and he'll chime in.

No running/dash lights and no signals??? check if the switch is plugged in properly. You may have to remove the two part plastic clam shell that wraps around the steering column to get at it. Find the turn signal and 4 way flasher units and swap them. If 4 ways still work then the flasher unit is ok. They are usually under the dash near the steering column.

Side marker and front/rear parking/running lights including dash lights are on their own fuse. Never trust glass fuses by looking at them. Briefly hold a quarter across the contacts, if the lights come on then the fuse was bad.

If fuse checks out turn the running lights on about 20 times to clean the contacts. Still nothing? Switch contacts are probably dirty. Hard to spray them with electrical contact cleaner while on the steering column. Remove the two piece plastic clam shell around the column and remove the steering wheel. Mark the spline so it goes back the same. Loosen the large nut on the column and strike the undersides of the steering wheel upwards towards you with your open hands to disengage the spline. Now remove the nut. If you remove the nut first at least turn your head so you don't loose any teeth. Now the switch assembly can be unplugged and removed for cleaning. Use an electrical contact cleaner/spray.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I have this issue from time to time when the lights haven't been used in a while they'll take a minute with the switch on before it finally energizes and lights come on. Try leaving them on for a while and see. Ultimately as mentioned I believe it to be dirty contacts in the headlight switch that need cleaning and dielectric grease.

Edited by afracer