Re-introduction and story(s)

Just wanted to take a minute to say hi (again) to fellow Datsun enthusiasts!!

I never lost interest and am back with even more motivation then I had before with my previously owned blue '71 521.  I now own a '72 521 pictured in my profile pic that does run and drive (mostly), just acquired 2 280z's ('76 and '77) that do not run and drive yet, work in Nissan parts department and have way less drama because I live by myself now due to my family moving away to the coast (my wife and I are separated).

I wanted to make a new thread because I feel like this is a new start here.  I've had SO much drama in my life that I basically had to step away from any projects for years now but since I recently acquired 3 Datsuns, am quite passionate about them and have more time, a little more money and I'm ready to start the projects (in little steps at first).

The first steps of the plan:

521 - Fix the brakes and diagnose/repair binding steering issue and probably replace or rebuild carb (doesn't run that great)

280z(s) - Diagnose and repair no start condition on rusty bodied '77 and inspect/clean up the '76 to prepare (probably) to put drivetrain from '77 which did run not too long ago (more details to follow)

I will post pics as soon as I remember how to on here but here's the cool "VERY fortunate/blessed" story behind all 3 of my datsuns in which I'm EXTREMELY thankful for.

'72 521 - Several years ago I would drive by what looked like a running driving (because it was constantly in different spots) light green colored '521 almost every day taking my son to school.  I was at the time trying to finish the L20B engine swap on my blue '71 521 and wanted a good stock running example to look at so I left a note with a picture of my blue truck asking if the owner would contact me to help (offered to pay).  About 3-4 years go by and no call.  Then finally, I got a phone call from the owner's brother stating that his brother sadly passed away and they were trying to figure out what to do with the truck when they came across my note! 🙂  Long story short, they basically gave me the truck ... only had to pay $200 to satisfy the bank.  It took a while to get the title but I now have it in my name.  It is not as straight as my '71 was but is nice overall.

'76 and '77 280z(s) - When I was a bit younger, I owned a '78 280z that was pretty nice overall after personally rebuilding the 5spd transmission but had to sell it soon after the rebuild that was successful btw.  Well, I always said that I would love to have another one along with maybe owning another S13 hatch and another mid '70's Celica GT liftback.  Well, recently my step brother who lives about 2 hours away, while we were talking on the phone, said he was going to sell his '77 with a '76 parts car for a reasonable price.  I asked him if he had a buyer lined up and he said no, he had not taken any steps to sell them yet.  I told him I would be interested so he said he would talk it over with his wife about what to sell them to me for.  I had never seen either of the Z's and only remembered a while back that I had heard that he got a running/driving one through my Mom and Step Dad.  My step bro and I unfortunately haven't talked a whole lot in several years so this was quite the surprise.  He called me a couple days before my birthday and said Happy Birthday and that if I wanted them I could have them!  I offered to pay but he said due to them not really needing the money, they decided to give them to me because they know I would be passionate about the car(s).  They also said "basically" another reason was because of how much I've gone through with my family situations lately.  And finally I'm guessing possibly due to him being reminded that I owned and loved my previous '78 280Z!  Anyway, I about fell over when I heard that they (Him and his wife) were actually willing to give them to me and said yes I definitely want them.

Well, I still didn't have a ton of details and didn't really have expectations at all.  I was hoping at least one of them ran but fine if they didn't.  Well, my boss and I trailered them both home 2 days ago.  The '77 dark green/tan interior 5spd no A/C car doesn't run currently but did as stated above has a fairly rusted body with bad paint/good glass (no driver window) and some dents but is all there so I just need to confirm the drivetrain is OK to possibly take it out and put it in the '76 Factory orange repainted kind of a burple color/black interior 4 spd with A/C car.  It's complete too but doesn't run (was bought as a parts car).  It looks like its been sitting way longer than the '77 but has decent paint and body.

Anyway, I have been watching a lot of vids and such on diagnosing a Z that has sat for a long time and vids about my 521 too so I'm quite motivated to get to working on them.  I also work with 2 techs that can and have worked on them professionally a long time ago so that could help.  I'm still not made of money but I am thankful for a decent job and being much more responsible than I used to be so I may not get to do everything I want to right away but I'm determined to eventually. 

Sorry about the long post and any repetitious statements but I thought the stories were worth it to share!  I will start a "project thread" for both projects in the correct areas as soon as I get started on them which should be this weekend.  I will start on the Z's first since there are so many unknowns.

Edited by Steve521
re-wording a couple of statements
  • Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome back and glad to hear you're up to your knees in Datsuns. I also spent a lot of time in Nissan parts departments..about 35 years out of the past 40.

Pidge, your profile shows you have been around here since 2010, that makes you a dinosaur compared to most that come and go around here.😜

Thanks for the welcome!  I have been here for a while but had some major problems with my family and believed that I needed to sell my '71 521.  Since I sold it and had no other Datsun and given the family situation I was in that lasted years, I sorta stepped away from social media and forums.  Do you still need a 3rd party picture site to post pics?  I plan on doing some work on the Zs today and will be starting a build thread.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

In the middle of a "clear out the garage of storage" project and had a chance to take a pic of all 3 of the Dattos (even though the '77 Z currently being worked on is in the garage) haha

Screenshot_20230504_164915_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2