Car computer question

For vehicle applications using hydraulics for say suspension systems I think there are issues with weight, cost, complexity and supply chains. To name a few. To build a system with the response times I also think would be difficult 🤔 to deal with the low speed crawler would be ok but once above a certain ground speed the speed a linear cylinder needs to travel to deal with suspension travel becomes a reliability amd control nightmare. 

I recall seeing a cool video on a electromagnetic suspension system Bosch? Maybe BMW? made that worked amazingly well but got shelved due to the weight of the dampeners and controls and cost to manufacture.

The other drama I see in my business is that very few people actually understand how hydraulic systems work, so even "trained" tradesman struggle with the way a complex system interacts throughout the circuit. That's on a new setup. Throw in a fault in a 10000 hour old machine down the track and most just load up the parts cannon and fire money at it till it goes away. 

A good car example would be say a weber or Rochester carburetor on a standard vehicle. Works amazing. Start having dramas and the pool of humans that can fix it dwindles super fast. Enter the simplest fix possible, a holley. Not that most people tinkering with those know wtf they are doing either but at least their hotrot moves off the lights. The other issue with complex designs is once you step outside the design parameters the initial team of engineers made it for your pool of capable humans evaporates almost entirely,  true for carburetors true for hydraulics. 

Imagine the forum threads on how to retro fit a standard shockie into your datsun to replace the electromagnetic ride system. 😳 

I try to build things in a way that the end user never has to call me unless it is to buy new parts. This new way of building cars and machines so that only the OEM can access info or diagnostics burns my piss. Most of the OEMs can't supply the personnel to turn up in the first place and if they do show they have no fucken idea anyway. In the last 15yrs I've found that if the onboard control or their laptop doesn't tell them what the fault is they just give up. 

I'm going to completely derail your thread when I get time to add my thoughts on Bitcoin and world peace 😄

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...
On 3/23/2023 at 9:24 PM, thisismatt said:

I'm pretty sure it's to overcomplicate and spend more money than he would on a standalone to avoid paying the man 😅

I ran across this old post and had a laugh, because I'm still doing it