75 620 5-speed swap

Rpoon

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Rpoon said:

I picked up a 5-speed out of a 83 720 pickup two-wheel drive, will this fit and work in my 75 620?

First, the '81-'86 720 had Z series engines, and while it will physically bolt to your '75's L series engine, it won't be oriented properly in the truck. What it needs is the front case half from your '75 4 speed, swapped onto the '83 transmission body. In simple terms only a 12mm wrench is needed and some sealer. 

Just to be sure measure the length of the '83. It should be 31.5" long to match the fitment of your '75. ( 720s did have 26" long transmissions too)

• Like 1

Well you have everything needed for the swap.

Unbolt the 5 bolts holding the front cover on. Reach through the clutch arm hole and put a socket extension against the pivot bolt and tap loose...

e8EVsAq.jpg

Two screwdrivers or snap ting pliers to get the snap ring off the mainshaft. Save the select fit spacer ring on the '83, it stays with the transmission.

ny6zaNc.jpg

Hrrh98d.jpg

Hold the rear case to the adapter plate after removing the through bolts that hold the cases together and drive the front case forward and off. Try not to break the seal between the adapter plate and the rear tailshaft case.

IeOqftl.jpg

Clean the gasket and mating surfaces. The front cover you can use a thin smear of RTV. Remember that what squeezes out probably squeezes in and you don't want that stuff inside the transmission. For the front case to the adapter plate a good quality sealer such as Permatex Ultra Gray. I think this was the stuff I used. You only want to do this once.

91ABX8jkPpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...