1985 720 Transmission options

Airplanedoc

I've got a 1985 720 2WD automatic that I just purchased and I'd like to convert it to 5 speed manual. What would be the easiest transmission to install with the least amount of modifications?  I have tried to locate a 5 speed out of the same year model with no luck, any information would be appreciated.  

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Confirm that the automatic is 31.5" from front to back. It should be. Any FS5W71B 5speed from any Z series equipped car or truck* will work. '81 and '82 had 4 speeds with optional 5 speeds so know what you are looking for. (*measure or ask the seller to measure any truck transmission length, as some are 26")

'81-'86 720  For the most part are mid ratio.

'80-'83 S110 200sc car. All long transmissions. '80-'81 are mid ratio and '82-'83 are wide ratio.

You'll need a flywheel. The Z24 uses one capable of bolting a 240mm diameter pressure plate and clutch disc. All Z24s and the Z20 engine used in the 720 truck had the correct flywheel for the 240mm clutch. The later D21 Hardbody with Z24i and KA series engines also used them.

A clutch master cylinder and pedal box as well as the clutch slave (it might come with the transmission) and the joining hydraulic hard and flex line. Also the push rod to the clutch fork.

Transmission may come with the clutch fork and dust boot.

There is a torque converter pilot on the end of the crankshaft. This has to be easily pried off to fit a flywheel.

QKmorFV.jpg

habrK3Y.jpg

The end of the crankshaft needs a pilot bushing tapped in to support the transmission nose.

CXP CLUTCH PILOT BEARING KIT Fits 2004-2014 MAZDA 3 5 MODELS 2.0L 2.3L 2.5L  | eBay

The automatic has a vacuum line from the intake. It can be removed but must be sealed.

Gas pedal has a kick down switch above it. Remove or not.

The reference to the D21 Hardbody was only about the 240mm flywheel. The FS5W71B as only used till the end of the 720 in '86 1/2. The FS5W71C used in the Hardbody was somewhat shorter so the driveshaft would need to be lengthened. you would like to avoid that.

If you find a C transmission from the same body style as yours, ie if yours is a short bed and you find a transmission from a short bed, grab the driveshaft also. It’s a good possibility that you won’t have to have a driveshaft made. I did a 5-speed swap on a 521 many years ago and ended up using an unmodified driveshaft out of a 620. Worked perfect. 
I also did the same swap you’re wanting to do, years ago, parts trucks were plentiful then, you will need both the clutch and brake pedals to make it work. The automatic brake pedal is to wide to work with the clutch pedal.

Any ratio, close mid or wide will work just fine. Some are more desirable than others and depends on intended use. The 2wd Z24 engine used the mid ratio for easier crawl speeds. Only the 280zx (non turbo) use the close ratio but it was a lighter car with more powerful engine.