620 wiper switch repair/substitute/upgrade

SWFL

The wiper switch on my 620 won't run the washer pump. I tested my pump at the battery, and it works. I assume that the washer pump contacts inside the switch are bad, as the rest of it works, but not smoothly. I'm tempted to use some Kroil, but I'm not sure if I should until I have a spare switch.

What is that metal cylinder that the wiper switch is attached to? It's got 4 wires and mounts behind the dash between the cigarette lighter and the dash light rheostat.

Is there any other wiper switches that can used, without too much trouble? 

What's needed to upgrade to intermittent wipers?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, SWFL said:

The wiper switch on my 620 won't run the washer pump. I tested my pump at the battery, and it works. I assume that the washer pump contacts inside the switch are bad, as the rest of it works, but not smoothly. I'm tempted to use some Kroil, but I'm not sure if I should until I have a spare switch.

The switch is a rectangular box behind the dash with 4? wires to it on a plastic plug. You might try liberally spraying contact cleaner into the switch and vigorously pulling the knob out and in to clean the contacts. Give it a good flush, rinse and drain it. If no luck the box is metal with folded over tabs to hold it together. If careful, bend the tabs up and you can get at the switch contacts to clean them. Have a care as they are spring loaded and will fly apart. Clean and lubricate with spray contact cleaner. These tabs will usually allow you to bend them once and back before they snap off. 

What is that metal cylinder that the wiper switch is attached to? It's got 4 wires and mounts behind the dash between the cigarette lighter and the dash light rheostat.

I'm not aware of any cylinder on the light switch. You might be referring to the black? container than holds a light bulb with fiber optic cables to illuminate the headlight and wiper switch knobs in the dark?

Is there any other wiper switches that can used, without too much trouble? 

Best would be another 620 switch or install a push button for the wash pump.

What's needed to upgrade to intermittent wipers?

Well you switch would need a position for selecting delay as well and the two speeds. Additionally an intermittent amplifier would be needed for generating the delay. The '79 620 did have an intermittent wiper option. Everything needed. I doubt the dealer has this but try e-Bay? or.... https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/6-datsun-parts/

• Like 1

Yes, the knob illumination. I didn't know they used fiber optics. Do those black tubes just carefully slide out of the light and wiper switches, or are they retained by something? My light switch needs contact cleaning as well.

On 2/11/2023 at 1:51 PM, datzenmike said:

You can tug them out. Probably you can push them back in. I think all 620s had lluminated headlight and wiper switches

My '74 did not have a illuminated headlight switch. I grabbed one off of eBay and swapped it out (came with the cable) and there was a little knockout in the light box to plug the cable into.