Did any 620s come with a factory steering dampers/stabilizer?

SWFL

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my years of experience building trucks, steering stabilizers are a band-aid for worn out suspension/steering or bad alignment. Or if the tire size is much more than the axle/suspension was designed for. I do install them when they come with a suspension kit, or if they were factory parts, but if it never had one, I don't want one. Or I at least try hard to not need one.

On the 620, the only place for it is attached to the center link, under the oil pan. There's hardly any room under there.

Why do you think you need one?

• Like 1

It's basically a shock absorber. Some 720s ('83 and up 4wd) had them (and likely only with power steering) but not the 620. Larger diameter tires have more leverage when hitting objects and kick back harder. Also if raised or lowered excessively you may be experiencing induced bump steer.  You shouldn't need one on a 620 with stock tires at stock ride height.

my 73 has one. no idea when it was installed but it looks just as old as everything else under there. currently at work I will post a pic as soon as i can. i just got done replacing the center link and tie rods. i just left it alone.

url%5Durl%5Durl%5D

Not sure why they are upside down. Its a lot smaller than that is a sold by rockauto

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

In my years of experience building trucks, steering stabilizers are a band-aid for worn out suspension/steering or bad alignment. Or if the tire size is much more than the axle/suspension was designed for. I do install them when they come with a suspension kit, or if they were factory parts, but if it never had one, I don't want one. Or I at least try hard to not need one.

On the 620, the only place for it is attached to the center link, under the oil pan. There's hardly any room under there.

Why do you think you need one?

I don't, I was just making a shopping lost at Rockauto and noticed they had them.

5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

It's basically a shock absorber. Some 720s ('83 and up 4wd) had them (and likely only with power steering) but not the 620. Larger diameter tires have more leverage when hitting objects and kick back harder. Also if raised or lowered excessively you may be experiencing induced bump steer.  You shouldn't need one on a 620 with stock tires at stock ride height.

I am and will be running wider rims and tires, but nothing crazy.

5 hours ago, tad70 said:

my 73 has one. no idea when it was installed but it looks just as old as everything else under there. currently at work I will post a pic as soon as i can. i just got done replacing the center link and tie rods. i just left it alone.

That would be cool if you could post pics. What brands and sources did you use for the replacement center link and tie rods?

• Like 1
21 hours ago, datzenmike said:

It's more the inertia of a big tire that throws things out of whack. Tire shape has a lot to do with death wobble too. If the suspension is lacking caster, then a tire with a crown on the tread can induce death wobble during acceleration.

16 hours ago, SWFL said:

I don't, I was just making a shopping lost at Rockauto and noticed they had them.

I am and will be running wider rims and tires, but nothing crazy.

That would be cool if you could post pics. What brands and sources did you use for the replacement center link and tie rods?

Yes, I'd like to see pics of that too.