head plumbing-it’s an easy one i promise

gm510

so the brass elbow for heater hose that screws into the back of the head, i bought a 1/2x3/8BSP fitting which i know is probably not quite right but it looked close enough to give it a try, and it screws in but doesn’t tighten up on the taper, only gets tight once it runs out of thread.

feels like i’m asking a stupid question but anyway, are you supposed to use some sort of thread sealer on there, and will that fitting be ok or need to find a metric version ?

cheers 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The proper fitting is tapered and seals simply by tightening just like the oil pressure sender. No sealant required.

Um, no. In a perfect world, yes. Even from new those fittings had sealant on them. And after 50 years... no way I wouldn't use sealer.

I use threebond 1211 https://www.amazon.com/Threebond-1342at002-strength-thread-1342AT002/dp/B00HYK3WWC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3KL520VSXE5UO&keywords=threebond+1211&qid=1673979453&s=automotive&sprefix=threebond+1211%2Cautomotive%2C189&sr=1-3  for fittings. It flows nicely and doesn't look like crap.

image.png.2b9f8d6ecc6b089e6a18d348dbf2a5d1.png

• Like 1