69 Sport 5-speed transmission parts

mmerlinn

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's this for????? More information. What transmission???

Only 5 speed in '69 would maybe be the import unit that may only be available in European Roadsters? for competition use. You could get them and an L series bell housing for use in the latere 240z.

According to the customer (local to me) the transmission is an FS5C71A. If I can, I will take a look at the car tomorrow to verify.

Here is an exploded view of the gear train.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/sports-1965-1970/power-train/transmission-shaft-gear/5-speed-(servo)

and a view of case parts.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/sports-1965-1970/power-train/transmission-case/5-speed-2000-(u20)

Yup that's it. Here's one with the L series bell on it for use in the Z car but would work on any 4 cylinder too. The 2000 would have the starter on the other side. Fifth gear is miss numbered and is actually 101 on the parts list not 98. It's 32340-25501 and the reason you are having trouble finding one is because almost all the old 5 speeds were grabbed up by racers and worn out. The supply of Nissan spare parts is long past used up and Roadster transmission parts are known as being made of un-obtanium. Basically they are as rare as rocking horse shit.

The C in FS5C71A designates the competition steel Porsche synchronizers used in it.

6Zp8MB4.jpg

Perhaps it's the removable bell that is from Europe? This allows the 5 speed to be fitted to N American Z cars.

Z4trpe8.jpg    Rfdo2JV.jpg

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The supply of Nissan spare parts is long past used up and Roadster transmission parts are known as being made of un-obtanium. Basically they are as rare as rocking horse shit.

This is exactly why my customer called me - He can't find it and I am known as mmerlinn da wizard, purveyor of Unobtainium and Unicorns, even though most of the time I am unable to find them.

It sounds like you haven’t had the box apart yet?

If not you may be able to repair the gear depending on what happened. 
I recently had mine apart. 
There are a few different versions of the gear. 
If you do need the gear, I did see a few available in my research. 
can’t find the exact websites now but they are out there. I remember seeing about 500 just for the gear.  So be aware. 

4 minutes ago, Stitebunny said:

It sounds like you haven’t had the box apart yet?

There are a few different versions of the gear. 
If you do need the gear, I did see a few available in my research. 

I remember seeing about 500 just for the gear.  So be aware. 

I don't have the box. My customer has it and since he knows exactly what he needs, I assume it is apart. He has been fixing Nissans for over 40 years and in fact bought a 240z new right after they hit the showroom floors.

According to my research, this box has only one possible 5th gear, 21T servo style. Price is not the issue since these are Unicorns.

I have servo type 5th gears for later boxes, but they don't fit.

I’m interested to see what the issue is. 
there is a press fit gear and a splined gear. The press fit can slip or spin. This can be rewelded. There is also a splined gear. This is what I have and it came apart when the main shaft nuts backed off. 
I reassembled the gear and hopefully got the box back together okay! It has been working so far. 
Post some pictures when you get it.