Transmission shop rate not including Cali or those East of Mississippi

As I may of previously posted, because it is getting to be a daily occurrence, prices climbing crazy.

For transmission mechanics, in locations other than excluded in the title, what is the current shop rate and/or total rate for a transmission rebuild for a Nissan 71C transmission from a 2wd D21 1988-1990.

Also, it is my understanding that shop rate/mechanic pay/parts  are separate line items on the bill. Please, specify if the supplied rate includes old transmission oil disposal, new transmission oil etc.

Many places charge a shop rate and line item parts and fluids replaced and/or disposed, but when trying to get an estimate, whether or not the mechanics pay is included in the shop rate makes a big difference.

Finally, I know I have looked through a Nissan book that lists price per hour recommendations as well as hours needed to complete processes like a transmission rebuild. Anyone know where that information went and/or the number of hours for a Nissan 71C transmission rebuild?

Thank you

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You would normally empty the transmission of oil for shipping and as for new oil, same thing. I suppose they could send the oil separately but you might have your favorite lube you want to use. If they try to nickle and dime you for this, go elsewhere. It's understood that the transmission and parts will need to be cleaned, that's on them.

When I first started at Ratsun a 71B (71C has the same parts basically) was $500-$600 including the new parts.

• Like 1

Slow down Franken! Find the trans first. You may get vehicle history with it and if it was working fine don't jump into a rebuild. These things are easy to pull the housing off of an inspect. If syncros look good I would just slap new bearings on the ends of the shafts and call it good. The countershaft bearings were beefed up in the c ending the common blowout of countershaft bearings the b used. Changing trans is a pain but I have a spare sitting on the shop floor I picked up for $100 pulled the housings looked good and would have no qualms about slinging it in the truck.

• Like 2
On 1/9/2023 at 10:07 PM, bottomwatcher said:

Slow down Franken! Find the trans first. You may get vehicle history with it and if it was working fine don't jump into a rebuild. These things are easy to pull the housing off of an inspect. If syncros look good I would just slap new bearings on the ends of the shafts and call it good. The countershaft bearings were beefed up in the c ending the common blowout of countershaft bearings the b used. Changing trans is a pain but I have a spare sitting on the shop floor I picked up for $100 pulled the housings looked good and would have no qualms about slinging it in the truck.

I have the same goal as Madkaw-a retirement truck, trying to prevent as many, "oh crap fixing that will be $XXXX" moments in the coming decades as possible. I know there no preventing bad luck, trying to hedge my bets.

I would be so happy to find 71C's out of a 2wd D21 for $100 I would buy 2!