Brake advice for 82 720 4x4

Finspop

Hi, 

I have a 82 720 4x4 that needs front calipers. I'm not having any luck finding the original parts, and am wondering what others have done. Are there calipers from other rigs that will work? Or a parts source I haven't yet uncovered? Thank you! 

2D5E313E-786D-412E-8247-C485EC3D65A1.jpeg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe look for rebuild kits? I have an 82 4x4 also but my originals are going strong at 250k. That front suspension was 80 to 82 only so parts are limited. Halfshafts have been NLA for as long as I can remember. 240zx brake pads look similar but I have not really searched much on that so you may want to look at those.

2 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Maybe look for rebuild kits? I have an 82 4x4 also but my originals are going strong at 250k. That front suspension was 80 to 82 only so parts are limited. Halfshafts have been NLA for as long as I can remember. 240zx brake pads look similar but I have not really searched much on that so you may want to look at those.

Thanks, yes, I have some seals coming, but was also hoping to find pistons, which I cannot. So am looking at other options, too. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

280ZX? Or 240Z. Different calipers and pads.

The 280ZX caliper looks similar to a 4x4 caliper. I wonder if it's a direct bolt in.

Interesting. I'm also hearing that perhaps Toyota pickup calipers of mid-80's vintage are a direct fit. Thank you. 

• Like 1

Unless pistons are pitted, they can usually be cleaned up enough to run them. Some pistons are chrome plated, and sometimes that plating starts to flake off. If the flaking is inside, where they rub against the seal, obviously they can't be re-used.  Most modern pistons are some sort of stainless.

You should try the fit. If they do mount and the bolt pattern is the same, they may not align with your rotors. I had an early Toyota front axle on my 620. The 4 piston calipers were very good.

• Like 1
  • datzenmike changed the title to Brake advice for 82 720 4x4