(Edited title) mixture solenoid in ultrasonic cleaner?

Edit: see last post

I'm rebuilding a junkyard Hitachi carburetor. Many of you may be wondering why tf I would do that. Well, I guess I'm a sucker for my own misery. Long story short, a ball bearing and tiny spring fell out as I was separating the top and middle section, and I had NOT opened either of the accelerator pump wells yet. Also the screws for those were stuck closed, so they have not been tampered with either. So, did this come from under the mixture solenoid? I don't remember there being one in the past on my original. 

No, but seriously, I've been running a weber 32/36 and I love it but I need to dial it in more, plus California smog laws. My gas mileage is an average of 21-22 on a good day, which isn't bad considering I have it floored doing 90+ on the way to work every morning. I remember getting better gas mileage from the Hitachi. I got a junkyard one because my original mixture solenoid didn't work, and I broke it removing it. The one I bought on ebay was an '84 and unfortunately I found out the solenoid was replaced with one from a Nissan Sentra! It also had a hole drilled above it to remove the old one. Wtf! I mean, I passed smog and everything with it so what the hell, but power lacked a little bit.

Now I have one I pulled from an 85 ST 4x4 and I have a 2wd so it shouldn't be any different. All jets look to be the same as my original. He'll, the throttle shaft is in better shape on this one! Right now it's soaking in Purple Power in my ultrasonic cleaner, and I will be boiling in lemon juice and distilled water after. It's really dirty.

Edited by A guy named Rick
  • Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are two ball bearings used as one way valves. Under the accelerator pump is a coil spring that allows gas from the float chamber in under the pump piston as it rises up but blocks flow back into the float chamber when it pushes down and squirts into the primary.

The second one is on the squirt side of the pump and allows gas out into the primary but the spring seals air from being sucked in while the pump is trying to suck gas in from the float chamber. It's under a removable threaded brass plug so it can't fall out unless removed. Under that is a longish small diameter coil spring with a small brass weight and the BB at the bottom.

This kit here has 2 rivets but I would think that they go on the choke and they look smaller. Some whackjob didn't know wtf they were doing I think and probably had it shoved down in one of the unused wells in the carburetor. Unless anyone else has input what this thing is and why it would be between the top and middle section of a 1985 Hitachi carburetor. Between the tiny spring, little check ball bearing, and this, I'm completely baffled. 

Edit: guys, I'm an idiot. This is from the fuel cut solenoid. Learn from me!! I didn't realize it fell out from there. Then it dawned on me all of a sudden.

Edited by A guy named Rick
13 hours ago, A guy named Rick said:

I've been running a weber 32/36 and I love it but I need to dial it in more, plus California smog laws. My gas mileage is an average of 21-22 on a good day, which isn't bad considering I have it floored doing 90+ on the way to work every morning.

I agree that doesn't sound too bad if you have been driving that fast. I can't imagine running 90mph consistently on a 720! My 2wd 720 I used to drive with the same carb got between 24-26mpg depending on how I drove it and what time of year it was. My 4x4, now that I have gotten it mostly dialed in is getting around 21mpg. Where I drive, 65mph is the fastest speed I reach.

Can i submerge the top with the mixture solenoid intact in my ultrasonic cleaner? It's just a small unit from harbor freight. Like 160 watts. I ask because want to thoroughly clean the top portion as well, but the mixture solenoid is seized in there really well and i dont want to chance breaking it or otherwise damaging it, plus idk how to remove the bullet terminals to free the wires from the plug to avoid having to cut the wires, only to have to solder/crimp them back together. 

• A guy named Rick changed the title to (Edited title) mixture solenoid in ultrasonic cleaner?
8 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I use half water and half simple green in my heated ultrasonic cleaner. If you leave stuff in there for too long, it will start to corrode. Carb bodies can be turned black if left in too long.

Also have you rebuilt the Cali hitachi, if so have you ever noticed a check ball and spring below the mixture solenoid? Not sure if that is where it fell from. It was definitely not one of the 2 from the accelerator pump wells. There was a bunch of rat shit that came out the throat so could have just been stuck in there with it. 

Haven't tried lemon juice, but I suspect the problems may be the same (turning black). I have tried purple power (super clean is the same) and I feel it is too caustic.

You can leave the solenoid in place, if you can blow air through it to clean it out.

No, I have not rebuilt a stock Datsun carb in decades. Sorry...

4 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Haven't tried lemon juice, but I suspect the problems may be the same (turning black). I have tried purple power (super clean is the same) and I feel it is too caustic.

You can leave the solenoid in place, if you can blow air through it to clean it out.

No, I have not rebuilt a stock Datsun carb in decades. Sorry...

I did notice it dulled it, turned it a bit gray, but appearance isn't too important. Yes, I noticed that about purple power, a tiny bit on the skin cleaned the grease right off my hand in the spot, of course I rinsed right away. Thanks, I will feel better now cleaning the top with the solenoid still intact. I was just worried about the ultrasonic damaging the thin metal windings inside. 

• Like 1