Rust revival

On 11/13/2023 at 7:26 PM, DARIN 510 said:

Amazing fab work. Keep going on the path. Not many can do what you do. Pretty soon you’ll be ready for body filler and paint 👍

Thanks for the compliment but there's still a lot to do before body filler. I did get some paint on the peddles. The accelerator linkage covered well first time but the peddle arms went blotchy so I re-sanded then resprayed them nervously with an almost empty spray can. Thankfully I got them covered before the can ran out.

YIlRdeGl.jpg  yx0vTmil.jpg 

I found this paint in the discount bin and thought "9.99. Ya this is a good deal, I don't care if some paint from an exploded can got on the outside" but when I tried spraying it barely worked. So when all else fails read the directions, "any angle spay", it only works sideways or up side down, "high output tip", it pukes out paint like crazy, I ended up flooding the parts I painted with it.

AgARArUl.jpg 

My better way went pretty well, I marked out and drilled the holes, hammered in the little recess bent the flange and since we have had some breaks in the rain, got the brackets welded on and backside painted. I balanced it and held it flat with the vise to stop the lake of paint from running, 15 min drying time Ha, I ended up leaving it over night and it still was soft. Maybe the just above freezing temps didn't help. The paint did hold up pretty well with bending the curve on the bottom but when fitting I realized that the bent points on the outside top where there for a reason so I tweaked and it fit almost perfect, a tiny bit more adjustment and it was ready for welding in.

YNXHaprl.jpg  b7wON0zl.jpg 

ByzGUEtl.jpg  F10KSTTl.jpg 

ob2aGHxl.jpg  TJLYulHl.jpg

3t1xVZwl.jpg  wJVVlHWl.jpg 

I placed the gas pedal bracket in and attached the linkage to check then screwed them in place, mounting the bell crank next so I could be sure of where to drill the hole for the captured mounting nuts, then back onto the center cowl drain. I heated up the irritating ripple, flattened it and though about doing the rest of them but figured they weren't worth the time.

fuNEsB7l.jpg  RhC3d8pl.jpg 

hL7iXT8l.jpg  7g6PVjRl.jpg 

I ran out of the sheet metal screws I was using so went searching for more, on a high shelf I found an almost full box, a little longer but "Oh well". The price was $2.69 at Mcleods, mmm, that's been around a few years, they went into receivership I don't know how many years ago. With my newfound screws I made sure every thing fit in place for the next sunny day. When the sun came out I was ready, I applied primer and paint to the inside of the cowl drain (don't tell anyone about the runs and sags in the paint and they will never know) and welded every thing in starting with the pedal brackets, captured nuts and the cowl drain (the paint didn't need to be dry did it?). I was able to go out the next day and fix pinholes ans such then covered it in discount bin primer, does every new spray can have the puker nozzles these days? It was hard to not get runs, at least this one didn't need to be upside down.

E0ebWEjl.jpg  qLXvmy4l.jpg 

feaewgAl.jpg  bzDEJazl.jpg 

dwH0r91l.jpg 

zpmUO77l.jpg

yAaTinml.jpg

The sharpie marker bled through the primer so I still know where I need to cut and patch the rust holes. I'm going to have to pause on this project soon to do some work on my wife's Nitro so I want the bare steel covered. Don't want to invite more rust.

• Like 3
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I have been yelled at by painters for using sharpie.

Looks good so far!

I remember when doing the body work on my first 510, getting pink splotches bleeding through the hi-build lacquer primer on the door and fender, how frustrating it was. I got a professional to paint that car, not sure what he did but it came out beauty. My plan is to scuff it down and coat everything with epoxy primer before doing the body filling and sanding. I may need to get a professional to paint this one too, I don't have a place to set up an impromptu paint booth and today's paints are different than the single stage enamels I used for the backyard splashes I did decades ago.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Merry Christmas, it's kept me busy doing things other than working on my car, well that and doing the repairs on my wife's Dodge Nitro. The new driveway connects us with a subdivision and all the "suppose to's" that go with it.  I thought I'd share the lighted Christmas tree we put up to keep up with the neighbors with their lights, blow up Santa's, and such.

kZpJgMal.jpg    vVtQcMDl.jpg

dJVcGAil.jpg  HHR45rxl.jpg

It's our ladder with Walmart light string topped with a jack stand and plywood star we made a few years ago to hang in the trees by the highway when COVID hit.

I hope we are all fortunate in the new year so than we can "Do It In A DATSUN".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

My son and family dropped by this afternoon, and they gave me my Christmas present. I'm not sure if I should hang it on my trophy wall or on the outside between the two roll up doors. I think it's totally cool.

QdFhOuHh.jpg

• Like 3