crank trigger or electronic ignition

From the vehicles listed and the lack of choice this 'module' must be for V6 engines.

22119 is a plastic collar on the Z24 and isn't the spline used on the Z24i. I also have this picture but the Z24i distributor doesn't show it. The KA CAS doesn't either.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, datzenmike said:

From the vehicles listed and the lack of choice this 'module' must be for V6 engines.

22119 is a plastic collar on the Z24 and isn't the spline used on the Z24i. I also have this picture but the Z24i distributor doesn't show it. The KA CAS doesn't either.

What I first dismissed as unworkable (potential ass pain exceeding potential performance gain) has come back for a second shot.

I have a Z24 distributor (8 plug) are there known steps or a point of contact, with  someone who has attempted to interchange a Z24 and a KA24?

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, this issue remains unabated,

I have some vague recollection, of reading posts on this, perhaps I have even asked this before, but between my memory and searching on site, finding nada.

Quick run down, attempting to use KA24E ecu and electronics with Z24/Z24i 8 plug head. I understand that I could ignore the second set of plugs and go forward, but I like the dual plug concept. There are distributors for the Z24i with an optical sensor, pretty sure the one posted below is a Z24i 8 plug with optical sensor, but in much searching, I have been unable to find one.

https://www.delcoribo.com/p/dbt1337-nissan-2210007g00,22100-07g00,2210017c00,22100-17c00-distributor

The distributors, in the link below, are without caps, they  might accept an 8 plug cap, but I haven't researched it as they are more than I want to pay

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaz-31-1012/overview/model/d21

New 4 plug KA24E distributors are readily available, which would match the KA24E ECU. It could be possible to block off the second set of plugs, but I would rather avoid that course of action.

I would have dropped this distributor endeavor awhile back, but I find websites that are out of stock this year, but sold units, like the delcoribo, last year  (first link on page) for under $100. With prices as they are,(second link) if there are instructions somewhere, I would be open to attempting DIY distributor refurbishing. (Not sure that's even a thing)

Posting to check if I have missed any options

22100-07G00 '86-'89 Z24i CAS for 720 and D21 Hardbody

22100-17C00 '87-'89 Z24i CAS for Vanette

This is the one you want. 8 plug!!!!

The output from any CAS is just a digital signal to the ECU. The ECU tells the coil to fire. 

The Z24i use different coils than the earlier Z24. The Z24i coils have a power transistor on them. I assume that the ECU does not carry the load current through the coils but merely tells the power transistor to fire it. The Z24i distributor and special coils should work with the KA24E ECU.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

22100-07G00 '86-'89 Z24i CAS for 720 and D21 Hardbody

22100-17C00 '87-'89 Z24i CAS for Vanette

This is the one you want. 8 plug!!!!

The output from any CAS is just a digital signal to the ECU. The ECU tells the coil to fire. 

The Z24i use different coils than the earlier Z24. The Z24i coils have a power transistor on them. I assume that the ECU does not carry the load current through the coils but merely tells the power transistor to fire it. The Z24i distributor and special coils should work with the KA24E ECU.

Thank you, it is good to know I have been searching for the right thing. I could have missed something, because I often do, but the links I provided use those part numbers---don't they? My problem is an inability to find a new one or refurbished one for under $300 (It bothers me because it was not that long ago, new units were under $100) There are/were used Z24i on ebay and last I checked there was one at the pick and pull for around $100 but I would want to "refurbish" either before trusting it. I have been unable to find tutorial on Z24i distributor reburbishing, not even sure what parts are prone to wear. Where would you look for reasonably priced new/refurbished Z24i distributors or instructions and spares to refurbish ?