Meter/reverse/regulator fuse keeps blowing

Davidm

Hey guys, 

I keep blowing a fuse and I can’t figure out why. Replaced the voltage regulator not too long ago and have checked all the wires but none are touching. 
Was wondering if maybe you guys could help me out. Was thinking it could be cause of some bad fusible links or maybe cause of driving in too low of an rpm. I was driving in traffic and it was a constant stop and go. But it blows at high rpms sometimes too. 

I drive a 1972 620

Thank you

David

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

72.5 is 01 Jan '72 or half way through the '72 model year. The year starts the previous June usually. I know, weird. I have found some part numbers for May '72 and I seem to remember April as the earliest 620 made but regardless the part years are lumped in with the '73 model year. Always ask for '73 or you may end up the 521 parts.

There is only one fusible link so if it''ss bad nothing works.

So dash gauges stop working? reverse lights???? There is no fuse for the voltage regulator. 

Get a meter and measure the voltage across the battery when running and when revved up... should be 13.8 to 14.4v. If the new regulator is over charging that might blow fuses.

Look at last thing changed as the cause of any new problem. Your battery is charged up so unplug the voltage regulator and drive it around on the charge in the battery. If the problem stops then it's the regulator. With headlights and heater off you can drive around all day on the battery, hopefully that won't be necessary.

Take the regulator back and get a new one. It's probably over charging. (not good for your battery) Think of voltage as pressure behind current flow. 18v is going to push 50% more current through any fuse than 12v and may blow it.

Over charging will slowly cook your battery. It may even boil over.

Borrow a volt meter and check.