1980 720 4x4

Mrjeep88

First time posting here but I have a 1980 720 4x4 with a l20b that's bad has a hole in the block and I can't find one locally but I have a 98 Nissan frontier with a ka24de 5 speed that's wrecked I would like to swap the ka in the Datsun but I don't know what to do about the oil pan clearance issue

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you fab skills? The oil pan is a frankenpan using the LB sump on the KA pan. I paid a shop $150 to make my 2 pans one. Redeye sells engine mounts and the can am box by icehouse simplifies the wiring. There are lots of nits to pick after that. Power steering, radiator hoses and countless headaches trying to get everything to work. A couple grand in cash. There are good documentations on the swap on these forums.

6 hours ago, Mrjeep88 said:

I got it with a bad engine I don't have any money in the truck right now just some labor for fixing another truck for the previous owner not really sure how he blew it up but it was being used by a construction company he owned

I'll tell you about company trucks. No one is responsible for maintaining it, oil levels and changes ignored. Run it out of water and over heat? Shrug not my problem. Drive the shit out of it shrug. Not my problem.

Well see what ]2eDeYe says about the pan.

The KA transmission is slightly shorter than yours so the primary driveshaft to the transfer case will need lengthening.

You'll need a high pressure fuel pump.

Were you going to run the EFI?

I am pretty good at fab work just a picky with how it looks so hopefully I can make it look good and yeah keep the EFI I have the whole other truck with the ka in it still so I hoping to use all I could from it as far as fuel pump and stuff like that but the 720 is manual steering so I won't have to worry about that if it was a domestic vehicle I would have already had it going this is my first Datsun so still learning about them

I thought about a Z motor but the main reason for using the ka is I already have it just sitting around in a wreaked truck and they are plentiful locally for me so I thought why not a friend of mine said he knew where a L18 is but he doesn't know the condition of it as it's been sitting roughly 20 years I also talked to the previous owner of my truck he said the air filter got left off and water got into the my engine and hydro locked it is what blew it up I don't know for sure though

9 hours ago, Crytek89 said:

Just updated the KA swap thread the other day to add some clarify so good timing!
Thanks for linking it @bottomwatcher!

I will have to check it out. You have the most comprehensive swap thread out there. Others appreciate the effort because documenting makes the project take so much longer. 

MRJeep88. The fact that you have a complete donor vehicle already makes this doable. Still going to take some cash but you have almost everything you need. Is the frontier 2wd?

• Like 1

Yes the frontier is 2wd and only has 120k miles on it the guy I bought from was very religious with his maintenance so it was well cared for until I rolled it so I guess this weekend I will begin pulling engines and transmissions and doing a lot of reading on the swap guide you guys posted above I greatly appreciate all of the info