My 85 Nissan 720 Fuse box.

Thomas Perkins

Here is my fuse box.Check out the second fuse.It is a 30 amp fuse.It was like that when I bought it back in 94.The clock fuse does not belong in there,no clock.It had a alarm system in in back then.That is when people were putting alarms in their vehicle's.He even had the sliding back windows on the alarm.The dash has a dual light on it,green and red on it and he had the fuse box with stuff added to it like jumpers.I still have the green and red light on the dash next to the stereo,has a wire on it.Just never removed it,it is connected to dash with 2 way tape.I disconnected the wire ,think it went in the fuse box.But any way,I took the 30 amp fuse out back then and put a 15 amp fuse in and it wouldn't stay running,so I put the 30 amp back in.Then one day,I went to a foreign car shop to see what's up with the fuse and he couldn't figure it out.I also had a trailer hitch and wiring connected to it.I removed the trailer ball before I got it painted.So the 30 amp fuse has been in there for 28 years now.If it ain't broke,leave it alone.He might of got it with the cassette player from Radio Shack,that's where he worked.The stereo was a Optimus...

100_9239.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The fuse is sized to protect the wire going from it. You should never exceed the 15 amp rating. 30 would allow twice the current should anything go bad with one of the components on that line. I know nothing has gone wrong but but like fire insurance it is there if you need it. I've had a single wire go up in smoke and that would be fixable but the heat melted through half a dozen unrelated wires hopelessly joining them and I had to replace the entire harness. The 15 amp fuse you put in probably was blown. Try a good one.   

• Like 1

There are slots, horizontal, just below the working ones, for spare fuses.  Just in case.

You can see that a PO hijacked the second slot in mine, making a permanent bend in the second slot.  The wires go to the fuel pump (I see that my oil pressure switch is missing a wire.  The mystery continues for me...  All of the carburetor subharness is dead, and there are some aftermarket wires on one of the coils (one coil wasn't wired when I bought it).  I might have some other issues that have yet to be sorted out.

20220128_084438.thumb.jpg.6c33558f02604c252222efcad9bb70cb.jpg

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The fuse is sized to protect the wire going from it. You should never exceed the 15 amp rating. 30 would allow twice the current should anything go bad with one of the components on that line. I know nothing has gone wrong but but like fire insurance it is there if you need it. I've had a single wire go up in smoke and that would be fixable but the heat melted through half a dozen unrelated wires hopelessly joining them and I had to replace the entire harness. The 15 amp fuse you put in probably was blown. Try a good one. Back then,I bought a bunch of 15 amps. in a pack,some reason,it won't work.It doesn't blow,the first owner did something.Back in the 70's when our stereo fuse blew,we would take the aluminum foil out of the cigarette pack,wrap the fuse and let Pink Floyd play again.Also our headlights ran on a 20 amp fuse,we would wire our stereo's into that 20 amp fuse so we didn't have to insert the key and turn on for the stereo to play.We knew all the tricks back then.I also learned from my 5 speed that you can roll it backwards and jump start it in reverse.I was on a hill in my yard,It wouldn't crank,so I put it in reverse,rolled backwards and popped the clutch and it started.