Window register

Stinky

On my 86 720, standard cab.  The window started being difficult...had to crank, window would just drop unexpectedly.

I finally took it apart. The shaft that the door handle goes on, on the back side, it is wallowed out. Which allows the shaft to wander around.

I have a parts truck, but I havent seen this part yet.

Does anybody know of a source for this part?

I was looking at rockauto.  They don't have it.  But, I stumbled on to seat covers $140-190 sized to fit our 720s.  I ordered one.  Ill let you know.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just went through similar issue on 521 - balky, so hard to crank finally broke handle. Window regulators are unobtainable for 521 trucks - maybe you can source replacements?

Removed from door, cleaned ancient grease, etc. found 75% of resistance was just turning the crank bearing all by itself - no gears, arms, etc. Was due to wallowed out hole like this.  Below is back side of sheet metal.

My solution was to dremel down the sheet metal housing where wallowed out - basically just a steel bushing. I tack welded a washer as new material. Great improvement on both sides!

20211114_135059.jpg

20211114_135121.jpg

20211114_141022.jpg

Yep, dat is exactly what mine look like, just differnt   ;  )

I'll pull the one for my parts PU in just a bit.

One of my problems, is that because the hole is wallowed, the gears didn't keep a tight clearance, and are sorta mangled.  THey might work, might not.

My first choice is gonna be my parts PU.  The 2nd, will be Ebay, which you pointed out.  I just looked, I did not find anything on Amazon.  SOB, they are proud of them.  You can get a new one, from Thailand & Australia for around 70 bucks.  Or a used one, in the US, for over $100

Edited by Stinky

Welllllll, I ground the mushroom head off the shaft and ground it to a uniform diameter.  Then I took a piece of bedframe angle (hard) and ground it down, almost round and drilled a hole in it.  I started drilling it bigger until it would just fit on the shaft.

I welded it on and then put it back together.

After a week, my window has yet to drop on its own....what a change.  It also rolls up and down easily.  Sometimes, I'll grab it and it will surprise me how easy it cranks.

Let's just say, that it is more than a little bit different now.