510 Instrument cluster panel removal

Labubre

Want to go and inspect wiring of turn signal and tank gauge as something's might be wrong here. Consequence being that my passenger side turn signal are working but very weak. Gauge indicator also stop working.

So either the turn signal indicator bulb is burnt or i don't know yet!!!

I was able to remove 2 screws on left hand side, and 4 screws at the bottom...cluster cover seems to move, close to be free but not quite.

Note i also removed central console panel (radio), which i am not sure that was necessary...

Is there a trick or hidden screw somewhere?

Don't want to break it

Instrument-Panel.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One more screw each side, UP above the speedo & tachometer!  I can just barely see the round hole above the speedo in the pic!  Huh, your radio is still mounted, after you pulled the radio/center panel off??  Must be another different market thing??!!  Once that panel is loose, pull away slightly, then you can POP the turnsignal bulb sockets out OR leave in place & unplug the short harness.  Either way, don't forget to plug back in on assembly (no, I've never forgotten THAT!!) 😂

The speedo/tach cluster is held in by four screws, pull away slightly, reach behind & unscrew the speedo cable, then pull away slightly more & unplug the electrical wires.harness.

BEFORE doing all of this, to test the fuel gauge, unplug the tank sending unit, GROUND that wire, see if fuel gauge goes FULL.  If goes FULL, the gauge itself is good.  If not, you could have a wiring issue OR the fuel gauge is bad.  If fuel & temp gauges stopped working, there is a small rectangular "voltage stabilizer" on the back of the gauge cluster (at least USA spec does), which could be corroded or simply bad.

ANYTHING turnsignal, hazard flasher, brake light etc.........you should start with bulbs, bulb sockets, bad grounds etc, BEFORE pulling apart the dash!  I pull the fusebox on every car sitting for years (or running!) & soak in plain white vinegar for a day or two, clean, re-grease the terminals/plugs & re-install.  The brass terminals get oxidized/corroded easily!

Good luck!

Signal.

If the one turn signal indicator is now dim and does not flash go out and look at the front and rear signals lamps. The one that is dimly lit is ok the one that is not lighting is burned out. If you can't tell check them by removing. You have a 50% of getting it on the first try.

Gas gauge

As mentioned ground the yellow wire on the tank's sending unit. Gauge should read FULL

NO does not change. Problem is toward the gauge or the gauge itself.

YES it now reads. Everything towards the gauge is working. Make sure the tank is grounded! Check mounting bolts are snug....

NO does not work still. Sender is probably bad. Sender has to come out but you may be able to remove with tank in car. With luck the wiper is stuck in the down or empty position and can carefully be loosened to fix.

• Like 1

Add-on regarding turn signal

YES, front/rear driver's side lights are all working fine. Perhaps flashing too fast...

Front/passenger side (front & side amrker) are showing a very weak signal. Bulbs are OK

Rear/passenger side, all bulbs are new a socket cleaned with vinegar. Full harness tested OK. No voltage at connector while i get some for driver's side tailight. 

Fuse box cleaned.

Gas gauge

Will do what you guys recommend. Thanks.

Is the sender unit what i see behind the yellow/black wire? Can i remove it safely even with gas in tank? 🙄

Radio

Will remove it soon as not the stock one. Will hide hole with plastic piece.

8 track tape player still here but not for long

Will update soon.

Thanks guys

20 hours ago, datzenmike said:

NO does not work still. Sender is probably bad. Sender has to come out but you may be able to remove with tank in car. With luck the wiper is stuck in the down or empty position and can carefully be loosened to fix.

Yes easy!  The 510 tank unit is on the side that faces the trunk area................be sure to DRAIN or run most of the fuel out first!! 😆 Buy a new tank unit ORING seal, still available from Nissan.

Never asked...........I assume independent rear suspension like most 510's?  I just bought a Mexican built 510, with a solid rear axle like the Wagon, has a Wagon style fuel tank UNDER the car, not in the trunk! 

If you need to DRAIN the tank (IRS car), there is a drain plug on the bottom towards the right side of the car (your RHD side).  There is a rubber plug/grommet on the trunk floor right underneath the plug in the tank.  Pull plug from under the car, carefully remove the drain plug (it WILL make a little bit of a fuel splash mess).  Think ahead how full the tank is & have plenty of bins to catch it............you do NOT want to try to put the drain plug back in, while it is draining!!  Once drained, rotate/tap the tank unit lock ring off & carefully pry the tank unit out............there should not be any residual fuel 😁

Today, make it with instrument panel removal...did not noticed the 2 screws near/above gauges...

Got the 3 wires connector for left/right indicator arrows light. Black/GreenRed/GreenBlack

When activating turn signals...

Green/Red i got 6V + rpm gauge red backlight flashing

Green/Black got NOTHING! + rpm gauge red backlight flashing (will check if flashing slower...)

Will continue to dig that way.

Fuel tank -> tomorrow

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Some updates about gas gauge.

Reminder of my issue:

There is gas in the tank. Should be 70-80% full. Since some seatbelts have been installed i noticed that the gauge was reading "FULL" all the time. Before bringing car to the garage, i saw the gauge being below the "F" level.

Since then:

- Gauge reads more than "FULL" totally at the right side

- If i disconnect the yellow wire from the tank -> it does the same

- If i ground this yellow wire -> it does the same

Now i removed instrument panel and i am looking for a way to test the fuell gauge...

Reference.jpg

Connection-AR.jpg

Connection-AR2.jpg

If somebody can let me know how to test the fuel guage from here.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Labubre said:

Hi!

There is gas in the tank. Should be 70-80% full. Since some seatbelts have been installed i noticed that the gauge was reading "FULL" all the time. Before bringing car to the garage, i saw the gauge being below the "F" level.

Remember that the gauge is just a path to ground. If seatbelts installed (assume rear seats?) it's worth checking that when the seat was put back in place taht it may have pinched the sender wire and grounded it. A grounded wire will read FULL.

On 11/11/2021 at 12:32 PM, datzenmike said:

Gas gauge

As mentioned ground the yellow wire on the tank's sending unit. Gauge should read FULL

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 11:37 AM, Labubre said:

Want to go and inspect wiring of turn signal and tank gauge as something's might be wrong here. Consequence being that my passenger side turn signal are working but very weak. Gauge indicator also stop working.

So either the turn signal indicator bulb is burnt or i don't know yet!!!

I was able to remove 2 screws on left hand side, and 4 screws at the bottom...cluster cover seems to move, close to be free but not quite.

Note i also removed central console panel (radio), which i am not sure that was necessary...

Is there a trick or hidden screw somewhere?

Don't want to break it

Instrument-Panel.jpg

I took out the fuse box and cleaned it up in apple cider vinegar and rinsed off very well and let dry. Then used some dielectric grease to coat the fuse ends and reinstalled them . I was having some contact or resistance issues because a fuse or so was getting hot. And when I turned on my lights at night my heat gauge would go up hotter. But it all cleared up after I did what I did. Also clean any contact surface where your bulbs go in . May not be your issue but it helped me .