Question about wire size

Eomund

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Eomund said:

Hey all. I'm gearing up to do a 100% rewire on my 521. She desperately needs it.

What is the largest size wire on there? Is anything larger than 14 gauge?

Certainly the power wire from the alternator to the positive side of the battery and it's black ground wire to the case, the power wire to the fuse box, the power wire to the ignition and from the ignition back to the fuse box would be the largest I would think. 14 gauge would be large enough for this but larger than needed is always better.

2 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

You sure you want to do that?  Most wires are fine its just corrossion around the fuse box areas and the connector ends

My wires are fine. its the fuse box area that is most likey bad

This!! above. The fuse box is in a very exposed and vulnerable spot. Another bad place is the harness under the truck to the rear tail lights. Gets wet, salt and stones thrown at it. Tail lights are also in a terrible location for damage.

Take pictures and write down where the wires go and remove the fuse box and thoroughly clean and degrease it. Then soak it in lemon juice and salt solution over night, rinse, dry and install. Replace the lugs on the wire ends if needed. This is way better than changing everything.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Certainly the power wire from the alternator to the positive side of the battery and it's black ground wire to the case, the power wire to the fuse box, the power wire to the ignition and from the ignition back to the fuse box would be the largest I would think. 14 gauge would be large enough for this but larger than needed is always better.

This!! above. The fuse box is in a very exposed and vulnerable spot. Another bad place is the harness under the truck to the rear tail lights. Gets wet, salt and stones thrown at it. Tail lights are also in a terrible location for damage.

Take pictures and write down where the wires go and remove the fuse box and thoroughly clean and degrease it. Then soak it in lemon juice and salt solution over night, rinse, dry and install. Replace the lugs on the wire ends if needed. This is way better than changing everything.

The fuse box is actually all new.

The wiring has been tampered with badly in the trucks past, and I've just been making due these past 10 years. Abandoned wires everywhere and some really bad work. I wanna make it fresh. Plus it coming from sitting in Arizona for years baking some of the wires too.

I'm going to do little runs at a time to make it not too daunting. 

My main question is for the headlights. These absolutely need new wires. And the high beams. I'm considering running most the truck in 14 gauge and running heavy load lines like that in 12 gauge. Better too much than too little.

And I'll document everything. Make my own proper schematic (I'm a drafter so that's something I'm well trained in). And I'll post up as I go if any are interested.

46 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

YOu could just run a H4 harness for the lights and the stock wires would just be used as a low current trigger for the relays

Actually similar to what I'm planning. I want some light up switches anyway, so I'm going to use relays where needed.