Differentials

weldingrod

Looks like the two wheel drive has the removable front end and they used the dual wheel axle in the 4x4s.  At least the one in the three 4x4's I have here have a diffy that looks like that one.  Price of rear shoes in '98 was $6. Found this box in my storage.

001.JPG

002.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

004.JPG

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

here's a question for you- I am swapping the axles and backing plates from the pooched diffy to the good one because the good one's backing plates are a mess and I don't want to go to all the trouble of pulling bearings, etc.

Do I use the shims that are on the axles, or do I use the shims that come with the good diffy. They are all located at the same position.

• Like 1

If doing both axles, set/check one to 0.011 to 0.035 inches. Set the other to 0.01 to 0.006 inches. The second shim setting removes all the internal play in the thrust block noticed when setting the first axle. If you were doing just one axle then the other side would already have the 0.011" to 0.035" set.

• Like 1