clicking sound in carb when key is turned on

when I turn on the truck the carb makes a erratic clicking sound. is this normal? Also today I was driving and i was testing out my new suspension and i was turning side to side pretty hard and when i stopped the truck was acting like it was not getting fuel because when i stepped on the throttle it just died. and when i got it running again it was running poorly. does anyone know whats happening.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clicking is normal, that's your mixture control solenoid inside the carburetor. I see you are in Cali, you have the 6 wire connector. 

Running poorly could be many things. Debris in the gas tank could have got sucked up, or your float could be binding and making it too lean or rich. Look at the sight glass on the float cover. The fuel level should be at the dot in the center of the glass. Too low or high would cause it to run rough. That's all I have for you right now. 

• Like 1

Could be needing adjustment or cleaning. That means your fuel level is too low. Do you know how to work on carburetors? When's the last time it's had a rebuild/cleaning? It can be a real PITA for the average shade tree mechanic. When I first got my truck, well, that night the water pump went out. But later on, the float got stuck closed. I had to whack the carb to get it free without having to pull the float cover off. That's an old trick for a sticking float and/or float needle to get you somewhere to be able to work on it properly. 

Edited by A guy named Rick
  • Like 1

More likely it's the idle cut solenoid opening/closing that's the clicking. It cuts fuel to the idle circuit when ignition is turned off to help quickly stall the engine.

Spirited driving could stir up sediment already in the float chamber. Drive it hard for a while and see if it clears up. The idle and the low speed driving are two different circuits. A partly blocked primary jet won't affect idle and visa versa.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, A guy named Rick said:

Could be needing adjustment or cleaning. That means your fuel level is too low. Do you know how to work on carburetors? When's the last time it's had a rebuild/cleaning? It can be a real PITA for the average shade tree mechanic. When I first got my truck, well, that night the water pump went out. But later on, the float got stuck closed. I had to whack the carb to get it free without having to pull the float cover off. That's an old trick for a sticking float and/or float needle to get you somewhere to be able to work on it properly. 

yeah i've worked on carbs before but not on a automobile. sounds good i might give  a whack and see what happens.thanks

• Like 1
12 hours ago, justaguywitha720 said:

when I turn on the truck the carb makes a erratic clicking sound.  

Idle cut will definitely click turned on of off. Have never heard the mixture solenoid so can't say if it's audible or not. Guy named rick.... can you hear the solenoid clicking if you turn the ignition just to on? no start???

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Idle cut will definitely click turned on of off. Have never heard the mixture solenoid so can't say if it's audible or not. Guy named rick.... can you hear the solenoid clicking if you turn the ignition just to on? no start???

Pre-weber, yeah, just ignition all the way on, no start, fuel pump running, could hear rapid clicking. Even happens on 80's GM vehicles too: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/carburetors/678533-mixture-control-solenoid-clicking.html

He mentioned it's "erratic" so that's why i figured it wasn't a simple click on or click off.

Edited by A guy named Rick
  • Like 2