Nissan 720 Ident

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shout out to DatzenMike, I don't know what website rituals you did (hopefully, it didn't involve animal sacrifice or soul barter) posting a picture has never been easier. In fact, posting a picture on Ratsun is easier than any site that I frequent. Nicely Done

I would say 4x4.

Two wheel drives have chrome bumpers and chrome trim around the side marker lamps. Four by fours are black bumpers and trim. In addition 4x4s have rubber/plastic mud guards fender flairs around the wheel openings, 2 wd do not. Four by fours sit higher than 2wd but hard to tell unless side by side. In the picture I believe you can just see the outline of the transfer case skid plate below the middle of the running board.

• Like 2

Looks like black trim around the marker lights, sits really high, even higher if you remove the flairs and looks like a skid plate under there. A 4x4 is also more likely to be sporting that bush bar.

• Like 2

Thank you for the replies. I made an appointment to see it tomorrow, assuming it was a 4x4. Then realized, I did not ask if it was a 4x4 and I would be wasting time. Based on a number of recent experiences, I try to get as much bullshit out of the way as possible, by asking things like "Do you own it?" "Is the title in your name?" "Is it a salvage title" "Are there any liens on it?" "Is it missing parts?" Like for this one, since only one picture is listed; Is there an interior? Is there a windshield? Is the other side damaged? I don't understand the mindset of some people, like I'm going to show up and say, "Well, it is missing major parts or looks completely different from the ad, but I did drive clear across town, aww shucks, you got me, here's my money."

• Like 1
17 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I would say 4x4.

Two wheel drives have chrome bumpers and chrome trim around the side marker lamps. Four by fours are black bumpers and trim. In addition 4x4s have rubber/plastic mud guards fender flairs around the wheel openings, 2 wd do not. Four by fours sit higher than 2wd but hard to tell unless side by side. In the picture I believe you can just see the outline of the transfer case skid plate below the middle of the running board.

17 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Hard to say for sure, but the highlight below the corner amber light could be the orange stripe that 4x4's had.  Black bumper and plastic wheel well guards also lean that way but not conclusive.

Gentlemen, You were correct in the assessment. I viewed the truck today and it is a 1984 4x4. The transmission didn't have too much slop and the transfer case seemed operational, the motor is likely shot, he ran it out of oil and it started knocking, before it stopped. I paid $400 for the truck. I noticed little parts on my "project" vehicle were starting to add up and it is cheaper to purchase a vehicle to harvest. The decision now is which vehicle to harvest to complete the other? One more question, I feel that I didn't over pay, what do you think?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Can't complain for $400. 

Thanks for weighing in, more likely than not I will complain, when tearing into it, but that is S.O.P. anytime I work on old vehicles. If I am not cussing under the hood or on the scrap linoleum, I use to slide under, call an ambulance, I might be dead.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, thisismatt said:

I bet I've spent more than that pulling parts off salvage yard 720's. 2wd front clip, 4wd front R180...

I thought it was getting illegal to work on your own vehicle in The People's Republic of California?