Newb Fuel Injection Pump Questions

This is either a very simple or completely irrelevant question, but I have been unable to find the answer, so I'll suck it up and ask.

The stock fuel pump from a 280z is recommended (by a trusted source) as the fuel pump, I should acquire, for my fuel injected build. After only finding electric external fuel pumps, for the 280z. I did some digging and found mechanical fuel pumps for a 240z. My questions:

Was there a mechanical fuel pump option for the 280z?

Is this irrelevant, because mechanical fuel pumps (or at least these Datsun fuel pumps) fail to produce the necessary PSI for fuel injection?

If an electric fuel pump is the only option, then has anyone developed a redundant system, allowing the vehicle to operate, or at least, be able to "limp" home, in case of electric fuel pump failure?

Perhaps install mechanical and electric pumps?

I never like contributing to the dumbing down of an engine. Smart engines, will operate, albeit poorly, without or with minimal computer aid. While an ECU, and other electronics will allow the engine to operate more efficiently and all around better, the engine is not so "dumb" as to be interoperable without most of the electronics.

A replacement electric 280z fuel pump, if not made in China, more probable than not has some Chinese components, even OEM. Not that all Chinese products suck, I have used Chinese stuff with some success and some failure. But, have concern, as more and more systems are tied to single point. (for example, I install dual batteries, whenever possible, but not on my daily driver.)

The obvious answer is too look at my over 100000 mile Sentra, that is full of electronics and never failed. Have electronic systems reached a point of general competency, that should negate my concern?

It doesn't help that electric 280z fuel pumps are housed in a metal tube/sheath. Could be filled with paper clips and dog do, for all I know.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, a stock L mechanical pump only supplies a few PSI. Fuel injection requires 30+ PSI. Why would you use a 280Z EFI pump unless you are putting it on a 280Z?  Use a more modern pump, either aftermarket or from a modern vehicle whose pumps last 200k+ miles.

Edit: that said, any modern pump I know of is going to be in-tank. While you can use an aftermarket external pump, in-tank pumps are quieter and more reliable being bathed in fuel.

Edited by thisismatt
  • Like 1

pretty much what matt said 

mechanical pump doesn't make enough pressure 

buy a modern pump mount it to a rubber isolator regulate it if needed and your good to go

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies, the gentleman who has built a number of fuel injected Z24's recommends the OEM 280z pump with an aeromotive regulator and I value his opinion. Thanks for the clarification, an electric pump it is. Any particular brands, stand out for reliability? Aeromotive sells pumps, but even the prices of the regulators made me squeal a little.

Speaking of regulators, I have yet to research this, so if it is not "off the top of your head", no worries mate. Which Aeromotive regulator or which features in other brand regulators  are desired or necessary. It seems like Aeromotive is the "name brand" for aftermarket fuel injection components, are there other quality brands, equal or better, to consider?

I would just question how long the guy has been building EFI motors (because the 280Z pump may have been a good option when he started, but I would argue it's not the best idea anymore).

Be careful, there are knockoff/counterfeit aeromotive products, so buy from a reliable distributor, in other words not ebay and probably not Amazon.

Stock EFI in-tank pumps are $300+, so consider that when looking at aftermarket pump prices - they aren't cheap. 

I don't think you need anything special for a regulator on a basic EFI build. 

• Like 2