Ratsun to Datsun Makeover San Diego Edition

71DIMER

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fisch: Thanks for the compliment. Good eye on the 'Ratsun 510" sticker...it's subtle enough that you can't really see it unless you're close up since it's pretty close to my paint color with chrome outline.

Zhent: Thanks man, ship it to Texas huh? LOL...just kidding I'm sure I'll hold onto it.

CorAce: Thanks, yeah I was pleasantly surprised at how well the bumpers came out. Thank god the the previous paint shop (Maaco) didn't take the proper steps in painting the bumpers (i.e. sanding them). Mark painted it for me so maybe he can PM you with the specifics on the number of coats per primer/base/clear.

This is far from the final as the paint still needs to be cut and buffed but that will come in due time.

Pac Man: Thanks amigo you deserve the credit. Well the dam is back on for now so we'll see as time goes on.

Creepy: Thanks amigo, yeah I'm digging the color big time too.

Here's some more pics..sorry if it's too many but I tend to get carried away with pics:

IMG_6209.jpg

IMG_6213.jpg

IMG_6218.jpg

IMG_6238.jpg

I really like the roof rack! I really don't like air dams, though. It's just MY opinion, but they look great with a stock front end, and if you're low, they look awesome with a chin spoiler..

510's are too boxy to use an air dam...

Thanks wagdatto...funny but I'm just the opposite. I do not like the chin spoilers, they look like an overbite/buck tooth look to me :P but different strokes for different folks right? If my dime didn't come with it I don't think I'd be sporting one. Oh and hey and where the heck is my $1???:P Hahaha J/K!

Hey Mario..where are you getting your decals from? Did they ever mention how poorly 'Chrome' vinyl holds up to sun, weather, and abrasion.

If you really like the look of it, be prepared to replace it. No hate, just knowledgeable info. It will scratch easily (tho a small outline probly wont be a big deal at all) and the metalized polyester film used to create the 'chrome' look may find a way of 'corroding'. it turns a brownish color. The silver metallic vinyls tend to do the same.

Oh and replacing it every year or 2 will also keep it from drying out and shrinking onto your lovely new paint job. Looks great btw. Oh and more onto what 72240 mention about the panel, cuz my doors are doing the same, you might wanna think about gettin some rust convertor (SEM's RustMort is what i use) and using a spray bottle to get it down into panels that you can, if you can. Never hurts to be a lil proactive with the rusting. Really wish you coulda brought that by the swap meet last month.

Yeah Hyphy don't worry I haven't forgotten what you told me that about them at the Sac swap meet about it. Thanks for the info but I'll live with it, they're cheap enough to replace anytime. Like I told you I prefer the fact that they're thicker even though you said thicker is cheaper...which again is fine by me. I have more to replace them if and when necessary. :)

I would have taken it with me to the meet but not with the motor mounts being in the condition they were in.

The bushings were all screwed up too.

DSCN4525.jpg

Edited by 71DIMER
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to installing my carpet kit (and nifty 510 floor mats)..what do you guys think?

Hardest part was making the cut outs for the roll cage so it would sit flush but not cut away too much.

It would have helped if my xacto blade was sharp.

dscn4622.jpg

dscn4646l.jpg

dscn4626.jpg

dscn4643.jpg

Edited by 71DIMER

Haha, thanks Mark and Clay!

To answer the console question, I grabbed it out of a truck at they yard. I was going to offer it up to a truck guy but figured on giving it the old clean it up and see...and from what I see it looks good. I've cut about 3" from the front so the shifter openning would sit right ontop of my shift knob and just contact the heater vents.

I'll try to find or make a shift boot for it and screw it down in place. Right now it's just resting on top of the carpet.

Here's a clip of what my exhaust sounds like after I fixed a leak at the headers which made more noise than the exhaust!

th_DSCN4684.jpg

Edited by 71DIMER

Lookie at who I met up with today at lunch. :)

We were checking out our rides but were interuppted at least 4-5 times by people walking or driving around us asking us questions. I'm sure Ben didn't mind though. Hahaha.

DSCN4795.jpg

DSCN4781.jpg

DSCN4784.jpg

DSCN4788.jpg

messsing with the images to look old...

DSCN4791FrontOld.jpg

DSCN4790OLD.jpg

or more menacing :P

DSCN4794black.jpg

And for you exhaust fans...

th_DSCN4799.jpg

Edited by 71DIMER
  • 3 months later...

My grill was a little to bare so I added some grill bling in the form of a SSS and BLUEBIRD emblems. :)

My goon is in the background :P

DSCN5456.jpg

My grill was a little to bare so I added some grill bling in the form of a SSS and BLUEBIRD emblems. :)

My goon is in the background :P

Nice badges

Looks like genuine Nissan badges made from space age composite material from Lockheed.

I can't see your asking price on the For Sale sign on your goon.

Is it $800

Sounds a bit pricey

Nice badges

Looks like genuine Nissan badges made from space age composite material from Lockheed.

I can't see your asking price on the For Sale sign on your goon.

Is it $800

Sounds a bit pricey

$800? No Abe this isn't your 521 :P

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this ALL the way back to the top baby ! Hows the 510 treating you Mario ? ;)

Well it WAS treating me great...lol...you already know the timing chain story but I have high hopes it will be running after this weekend. Finally after 7 LONG months is should be coming back to life. I'll let you know.

I posted a thread for help with the swap http://community.ratsun.net/topic/23025-help-neededany-nor-cal-ratsuner-willing-to-lend-garageyard-workspace-to-swap-out-my-busted-ka24de/

So if anyone wants to roll out to San Jose near Eastridge tomorrow (8/14/10) and lend a hand give me PM, I'll hit you up with the start time and address. :) (haha shameless plug for more help)

• 9 months later...

Ok it's been way too long since I've updated my thread so here's what I've been up to recently.

Last week I took the front timing covers off and took a look at the thermostat housing and water pump and they looked pretty nasty so I cleaned them up real good, degreased everything and primered/painted them.

Yesterday I removed and installed new timing chain tensioners, new front main seal, new water pump, new thermostat, valve cover gaskets...to play it safe I went with OEM Nissan parts through Courtesy Nissan. Used high temp silicone liquid (gasket) when reinstalling the front covers and oil pan. I also have the rear main seal, main clutch bearing, bearing bushing, but that'll be put on when it's about to get dropped into my 510.

Here's some pics of the old nasty parts and the thing almost all buttoned up, I'll update as I get it installed in my dime.

3e394271.jpg

bda43c9b.jpg

1c5bd357.jpg

5d787e20.jpg

94e2003a.jpg

86e8f09c.jpg

63dfe552.jpg

7aee252a.jpg

acddf983.jpg

37804dda.jpg

Kool! So you had the old engine rebuilt or is that a different motor ?

Unfortunately it's another engine. To work on the one I already have in the car would be too much trouble trying to coordinate a place/time to work on it so once this one is installed I'll clean up the other one and most likely sell it. I'll probably take care of the oil leaks on the other one. I only replaced the front/rear main seals, and re-did all the front covers and oil pan seals on this latest one because of my lesson learned from the first motor, that plus I know more about this motor than I did on the last one, at least info that I can more readily trust/verify.

• 2 months later...

F-I-N-A-L-L-Y, over a full year my 2dr is back up and running on it's own without sounding like it's on 3 cylinders or leaking oil like crazy!

Just finished washing it for the first time when I haven't had to roll it out of my carport and push it to the end of the parking lot where the water spout is! That alone is huge for me! LOL!

Only thing left is to troubleshoot the alternator not charging the battery. I thought I found the issue which was that nut to the ground with a whole bunch of wires was finger-loose...so I torqued it but my amp gauge still didn't show a charge, so I'll have to check with a digital multimeter incase I also have a bad gauge.

Anyway took some quick pics on my cell phone...

First my own little Datsun meet, my wagon and my 2dr

94b50950.jpg

24273100.jpg

Just gave it a quick rinse to get the dirt off my baby...

b37f8c81.jpg

b741dd05.jpg

7f88d69d.jpg

fea5cf52.jpg

052d4d4e.jpg

d57b83b5.jpg

f9017759.jpg