82 720 4wd Front Spindle question

unitrak750

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

I have been tackling a bushing, ball joints, and axle rebuild on my 82 720 4wd project. I have taken apart the spindles to regrease the bearings and change seals but have no clue how to separate the hub from the disc. I have removed the disc mounting bolts and the hub won't slide off. Most videos and write ups are for 85+ 720's and the hub just slides off with the disc. On this 82 model does the hub need to be pressed out? I want to inspect the seal on the disc side and regrease everything before putting it back together.    

Thank you

720sp.png

720sp2.png

• Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rust and road grime are holding them together.  Spray liberrally with your favorite flavor of luricant/rust desolver and let sit over night,  take a hammer and a BRASS punch/drift and tap around the base of the hub on the rotor to separate from the hub.  This takes a little time.  Remember these are Japenese designed so they are not sloppy like a Ford!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I think I'd also check Row52.com.  There are a couple of Datsun 4x4 720's out there.  Couple in WA.  You might be able to guy someone nearby to see if the part is still on the truck.

Row52 also seems to have a 'puller notification' service.  Maybe by putting out a request, someone might do it for ya.

• Like 1

Leaf springs do strange things when subjected to acceleration/deceleration with the axle twisting the pinion down and up. IIFC the first year ('67) Camaro had really bad wheel hop on hard acceleration. The next year the shocks were staggered one front and one behind.

• Like 1

in 1983 i started working in the warehouse of  a janitorial company . Gary the owner joined dick barber and purchased performance datsun in san diego . we had a fleet of ragged 620's for our floor crews . we were buying the first 720's for our managers to drive . Gary was a co- sponsor with the infamous JDavid  and together with John Fitzpatrick racing team raced a  Porsche 935 and 956 then 962 cars to many wins and championships . i was in the right place at the right time and got to pick up the new 720's and drive them brand new !! i went to my fair share of endurance races too . i even went with Gary to indy in 1989  . lucky me , butter fingers 

• Like 1