Power steering column

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, 85 720 said:

Will a 81 non tilt power steering column  fit in a 85 non tilt 2wd? Trying to get one to convert  my truck  to power steering. Any help is appreciated 

I am collecting parts to do a similar swap. I have an 86 2WD and found the PS parts from an 83 4WD. I've been told - but haven't tried it - that the PS steering box is larger but the PS column is shorter so it should all fit if they all go in together. My only concern right now is whether the Pitman arm on the 4WD donor PS box will fit to the 2WD center link or if I have to swap the 2WD Pitman arm onto the PS box. 

15 hours ago, matrophy said:

I am collecting parts to do a similar swap. I have an 86 2WD and found the PS parts from an 83 4WD. I've been told - but haven't tried it - that the PS steering box is larger but the PS column is shorter so it should all fit if they all go in together. My only concern right now is whether the Pitman arm on the 4WD donor PS box will fit to the 2WD center link or if I have to swap the 2WD Pitman arm onto the PS box. 

I'm just concerned  because  isn't the 81 year truck's an odd ball vehicle. Alot of stuff is different on them compared  to other year 720

'80 was the odd ball year. Last and only year the 720 had the L series gas engine... well including the optional diesel. Wiring harness, hood and fuse box different from all other years. '81 and '82 were virtually the same. '84 and up were much changed with largest gas engine, redesigned brakes, dash pod, and added options