Setting steering lash

MaddieCycle

My steering has a bit of slop at center.  The entire steering linkage and front suspension are brand new and the truck has had an alignment.

I was able to get the lash set so the steering is tight, but now it feels a little bind-y and it is almost fully cranked down. Backing it off just a little bit makes it loose again.   When I bought the truck it had a huge power steering leak at the high pressure line at the pump and the fluid was low. I am assuming this ran low for a while.  Maybe the gears are chewed up and I am on my way to a new gearbox.

Wondering if it is okay to run it a little tight for the time being, if I am on my way to a new box anyway.  I only drive this truck 1,000-2,000 miles a year, I figure I could go a couple of years like this while I keep my eyes out for one in good shape.  Or, should I leave it loose?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PS is like having someone helping you turn the wheel. If it feels tight it must be REALLY tight at the box.

Loose won't hurt anything.

If there is play in the box, steering wheel turns but pitman arm does not. I can usually reach up and turn the steering column by hand wiggling it back and forth while at the same time holding the pitman arm to feel for any movement. I adjust till they move together but just that, far no tighter. Then with wheels off the ground I turn the steering wheel back and forth lock to lock looking for any tight spots. If any tight spots are found, I back the adjustment off just enough to remove it.

If when done there is steering wheel play where there is no turning of the wheels this can be all of the accumulated wear in the ball joints, idles arm and wheel bearing pre load adjustment. (I know you said you changed the ball joints) The 720 steering box is about a 20 to 1 ratio, so even 1/16" of total wear in the system will show as 1 1/4" of slop in the steering wheel. Doesn't take much. 

There is a torque wrench reading that can be done but the column and pitman arm must be off.

• Like 2